• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Classified Posting Defaults

7.62X5l

Default rank <1000 posts
ODT Junkie!
110   0
Reaction score
Is there a way to make “Last Message” “Descending” the default for all threads? Why would you change the default from the old site…honestly it’s so annoying that I’m using the site drastically less than I used to. Is this not the opposite of the intent with the upgrade? Please let me know if there is way to do this on my end OR yours (ODT)!

Is there a way to make “Last Message” “Descending” the default for all threads? Why would you change the default from the old site…honestly it’s so annoying that I’m using the site drastically less than I used to. Is this not the opposite of the intent with the upgrade? Please let me know if there is way to do this on my end OR yours (ODT)!

Its in your settings.

The OP is on target. After reading the various posts above I tried to see if I could help track down the right setting location. (Using my PC) I changed (see screenshot) in the ODT's website page 'Settings' the default search results order from DEFAULT to MOST RECENT and then changed the sort results at the bottom of a classified listing page from 'First Message' to 'Last Message' and left it as descending and hit the 'Filter' button. Everything then appeared as per the OP was requesting. I then shut down my Chrome browser then reopened it again and went to the ODT page, pulled up the same classified listing page and the results were showing the default 'First Message' order, not the 'Last Message' order of my last search. OP's stated concern was thus confirmed, changing the ODT 'Settings' did not work for me either.

I would speculate that this has to do with cookies in the internet browser program (i.e. Chrome) accessing the ODT website page. For instance if you have any tracker blockers or such enabled in your web browser which might block the ODT's server from seeing your last preference setting used on their page. I bet if the OP turned off his 'Do Not Track' setting or such in his browser that ODT's persistent 'Settings' would potentially work as expected.

I've gone as far as I care to however. I'm leaving my 'Do Not Track' setting enabled as well as my privacy blocker extensions active in my web browser settings... I can live with the default ODT 'First Message' order as I prefer to know how long things have been advertised rather than see the last reply message about the ad because I use ODT mostly for the Classifieds. Fresh or stale ad status indeed very importantly reflects upon interpretation of market demand and price/value.

Clearly the older the listing, the less current demand there is for the item. Therefore 'First message' is just how I like it so I can get a feel for how old the listing has been up. But I also fully acknowledge that this default settings issue could be a real problem for many who prefer and use the ODT on a social network type basis for the forums and such. Those folks would hopefully have options to modify their web browser's settings to ultimately gain the ODT functionality they desire.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-21 070248.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-21 070248.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom