• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CJ5 question

Do not drive it like an idiot and you will be fine.

Had a local high school boy that had a new one given to him by his parents.

He was doing donuts in reverse at a parking lot. He got it wound tighter than he could handle and it flipped. Killed him.

I flipped a CJ7 once. Yup, doing stupid stuff.

The old or early cj5’s have stone age parts that wear out in the steering system. When there rebuild, fair handling machine. Be careful, I have never flipped one. I love the things, I go slow. Most parts are imported and the quality is not OEM. I have a friend that has flipped three.

Yea, I'm probly going to have to go through it and replace all the bearings to just not have to do later. it has sat for a few years. Thanks for the note on the steering parts.

I flipped my '74 . Doing bout 40 and had to slam on the old drum brakes it pulled to the right and cought the edge of the road and I was sideways and on the roof in a second. Had 31's on it. It pushed the roll bar down on the right rear and smashed the windshield. Pushed the roll bar back up with a porta power, a junkyard windshield and a quart of oil back in her and she was good to go.

One thing to keep in mind with these old Cj's. The factory roll bar is just mounted to the body and not the frame. If you really want to wheel it and protect yourself you need to look at installing one that mounts to the frame. Remove the one you have and I bet you can see through the rusty sheet metal underneath it.

This is it

Attachments

• KIMG0440.JPG
    KIMG0440.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom