Status
Not open for further replies.

FreedomUSMC

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
22   0
Reaction score
Good day, all.

So we've been working on building an Outdoor range in the City of South Fulton. We've already done some courses with some LEO, DEA, and civilians. We have been working on clearing the current 10 acres and plan on buying more. We are going to make it membership only to keep away non-serious shooters that go to ranges because they want something different and fun to do (we all hate those people). What I'd like to know is:

1. What do you think about the idea?
2. Would you be interested in being a member?
3. What do you personally think would be a fair membership fee (monthly or yearly)? (we will be granting discounts for Veterans and LEOs.)
4. What courses would you be interested in? We'll be having courses that focus on topics like low light shooting, pistol & carbine courses, woodland courses, firing from vehicles, etc. We're focusing on practical shooting applications.
5. We're also having companies like Surefire do demos of products, such as suppressors, so members can try them out. Would that be something you'd attend?
6. The range will be open to Instructors and agencies that want to schedule training. If you're an Instructor, what amenities would you like on the range to be able to better train?

I applaud your efforts. You could possibly make extra money by holding matches there I shoot with 4 different organizations so I see a wide sample of the action pistol and carbine shooters from North Atlanta. I would guess that there are about 600 people I'm this group. The bigger local matches draw about 120 people. It will be hard to sustain a range with only tactical shooters. I am guessing that there are a lot of novice shooters that you would need to welcome to make the monthly nut on a place like that. I am guessing that you would need at least 15k a month to insure supply and man a place like that. It will take a lit of members to make that even if you can get $50 a month. That is twice what I pay at Riverbend.
Good luck. It would be great to have another range in atlanta.

If you have the space both range and parking look at what is involved in at getting a GSSF outdoor match. They draw a lot of entries and there used to be 5 within 2 hours now there is 1 within 2 hours and 3 within 3 hours.

Would hold your own 2 gun match. Make the rules harsh but fair

1. Great idea
2. Yes
3. A fair fee would depend on your offering. The nicer the facility/better services the more I would be willing to pay. I pay $80 a month to belong to my sailing club in Flowery Branch, and they have a clubhouse, regular events, racing, beach, camping, and boat storage (extra fee) camps for kids (extra fee). We go there almost every weekend in the summer, so its a great value.
4. Not sure on the courses...wouldn't mind checking them out.
5. Product demo's - cool, I would come check them out.
6. Not an instructor.

Other ideas, comments. - Would you consider a "kids" day? Maybe only allow 22 shooting, maybe a suppressed only time? I havent gotten my 8 year old into shooting yet, but want to.

Shooting stuff other than paper, more reactive targets would be more interesting for me. Longer range, automated ranges like CMP would be great too.

Instruction on long range shooting would be a bonus, instruction demo's on reloading - bonus. Instruction/classes on gunsmithing - bonus. Female focused classes/ self defense instruction - bonus.

It can not be stressed enough that additional outdoor ranges are tremendously important to shooting sports safety, education and proficiency! First, I agree with all comments made above/before me... they are all good points to consider & to directly answer your bullet items....
1. What do you think about the idea? GREAT! DO IT.
2. Would you be interested in being a member? YES I WOULD
3. What do you personally think would be a fair membership fee (monthly or yearly)? (we will be granting discounts for Veterans and LEOs.) CHEROKEE & RIVER BEND RUN ~ $300/YR AFTER HEFTY BUY-IN OF $1000. UP TO YOU HOWEVER, MORE MAY JOIN IF A BUY-IN IS SPREAD OVER THE FIRST YEAR'S DUES.
4. What courses would you be interested in? We'll be having courses that focus on topics like low light shooting, pistol & carbine courses, woodland courses, firing from vehicles, etc. We're focusing on practical shooting applications. CQB, FORCE ON FORCE, 2-GUN, WEAPON MANIPULATIONS & WEAK-SIDE COFs
5. We're also having companies like Surefire do demos of products, such as suppressors, so members can try them out. Would that be something you'd attend? PERHAPS. DEPENDS ON THE PRODUCT
6. The range will be open to Instructors and agencies that want to schedule training. If you're an Instructor, what amenities would you like on the range to be able to better train? VIDEO SUPPORT, CLOSE-UP SLO-MO FOR ANALYSIS AND LEARNING

As a competitive shooter & burgeoning educator/trainer, here are suggestions I have seen as strong draws to particular outdoor ranges:
  • permanent (non PortaJohn) bathroom facilities w/hot & cold water. Great health & wellness selling point
  • automatic or automated target reset
  • reactive targets (steel or other falling/moving object)
  • moving (laterally) target runs
My 2 Cent...

Love the idea! The most important thing to me is to have it setup to be very safe. Classes for beginners would be a great way to draw interest to the range and to guns/self defense in general. I get so tired of hearing people say they are scared of guns because they kill people and the same people text and drive. Education is priceless. Having a setup where folks could learn and practice to target and shoot while moving, something you cant do on a normal range.

Would it be to much to ask where this is being placed? I live in unincorporated south Fulton county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom