• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chopped Up Mosins

I remember wanting a mosin. I bought one, all nice and original. Spent a day cleaning it up, getting rid of cosmoline. It was so pretty. Took it to the range and discovered there has never been a more boring firearm ever built. Seriously, I don't get the attraction.

I am not sure I would take one if it was given to me.

I think at first what 10 years ago 79 dollar price tags was the attraction.

Now the attraction are the history people, having something that has fought in just about every major conflict for over 100 years (if not everyone of those). Also besides 30-06 ammo, it seems 54R is one of the more common rounds you could find, steel and cheap to go plinking.

Everyone would love to have a M1A, but the prices on these have went crazy.

The carcano seems to be the latest hot surplus rifle about 200 bucks. I'm sure people will buy this and couple of years who knows where the prices will be.

I don't get the prices of these mosins for 700-900. Most people would be better off going .308 IMHO.

Now the attraction are the history people, having something that has fought in just about every major conflict for over 100 years (if not everyone of those). Also besides 30-06 ammo, it seems 54R is one of the more common rounds you could find, steel and cheap to go plinking.

The carcano seems to be the latest hot surplus rifle about 200 bucks. I'm sure people will buy this and couple of years who knows where the prices will be.

I don't get the prices of these mosins for 700-900. Most people would be better off going .308 IMHO.
I only see those prices for special years and arsenal stamping the Mosin collecting market is very hot and has a very wide breadth

I was bored with mine at 79 dollars.

Honestly, the Mosin is a garbage rifle. At $50-100, it was easy to overlook its problems. Plus, it's a real Russian battle rifle! But for the price of one today, you can get a modern rifle that will be better in every way, except for historical value. If that justifies the price is up to you.

Carcanos are even worse than Mosins.

What about the SKS paratrooper or tanker that never existed?? Or the garage tanker, or the rifle with the black thingy on top that' makes it a sniper rifle?? Folks modify a barrel and it automatically becomes a tanker model. Oh, I forgot that the shortened version of the SKS was also called the "cowboy companion".
I traded into an SKS paratrooper. I love it. It's like a cheap Mini 30. But if I would've been expected to pay what they go for these days I never would've wound up with it. But that's the story ad far as any SKS.

I traded into an SKS paratrooper. I love it. It's like a cheap Mini 30. But if I would've been expected to pay what they go for these days I never would've wound up with it. But that's the story ad far as any SKS.
You do know that there is no such thing as an SKS paratrooper, don't you? No such thing as an M1 Garland tanker on the market, folks just cut down the barrel and WOW!!!! a tanker!!!

Back
Top Bottom