• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chinese food storage habits

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
so we have a relative straight outta China and she always stores extra food outside instead of the fridge, we have half a watermelon with just a paper towel over it in a bowl with water outside. Does anyone here know of a cultural reason for this? Our fridge will fit it without the bowl of water

I am in the restaurant business and have been most of my 64 years. A health inspector in Atlanta told me in the 90’s that people operating Chinese restaurants would not use refrigeration. It was very common for chicken to be stored in hot kitchens. This was close to 30 years ago so I doubt this continues today as a restaurant would be graded harshly on these conditions and training is part of the inspection process but the cultural norm among that ethnic group was to see no need for refrigeration. Doubtless many had extremely strong immune systems, also he said that the fact that the food was cooked in woks at an extremely high temperature was the only reason people didn’t die in droves when eating there.
Bon appetite!

An off topic aside, I had dinner with some of our colleagues from China (in January) they ordered orange juice with dinner. I asked if they drink a lot of OJ. The Sales Manager said , no. It’s too expensive for folks like them to drink regularly.

Back
Top Bottom