• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Check Out This 3D Printed Dillon Bullet Tray

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
1EABCC04-623C-4B81-A301-82998752E1D0.jpeg

A big thanks to Freshly Minted Georgian! Freshly Minted Georgian! for hooking me up with this bullet tray for my new RL550C. It looks amazing and matches the Dillon nicely.

The ODT is full of great folks like Bill, thanks again!!

is this a public domain stl file? If anyone has a link I'd appreciate it. just got my printer back up and working again. :)

How strong is 3D printed stuff? Seems like a lot of side pressure for strings of plastic melted together. I've never really held anything made by a 3D printer so I have no idea what it's capable of.

Strong enough to print Glock frames! There is some science to it but also a fair amount of art mixed with a little bit of voodoo. Think of a 3D printer as a computer controlled hot glue gun. You take a given model, a design of some object, you run that object (file) through a piece of software called a "slicer" which converts the object into simple instructions for the printer. For most printers that are Cartesian style printers you have X, Y and Z axes of movement. The slicer tells the printer go to X/Y, start squeezing out melted plastic while you move to a different X/Y coordinate. Those simple commands are called "gcode".....the same basic code type used to drive giant CAD/CAM equipment.

As far as strength of the finished part, the type of plastic you use certainly plays into it. All the settings (many dozens of them) come into play. Temperature, speed, extrusion nozzle size, infill percentage, fill geometry....there are a ton of them. Over time you learn what the really good combinations are and what gives challenges. You'll find sometimes if you look at object files online (there are millions of them free) that the designer of the object has listed some of the basic slicer settings that they used which takes some of the guesswork out of it.

Here are some sample gcode commands with explanations of what they do. A given print file that you send to the printer may contain tens of thousands of individual commands, the slicer software generates all that code though, you just have to take the resulting gcode file and send it to the printer.

• G91 ; Sets relative positioning so you can move the head and return it to where it started
  • G1 Z10 F1000 ; Lift the nozzle 10 mm at 1,000 mm/min
  • G1 X100 Y100 F3000 ; From where you are now, move right 100 mm and up 100 mm
  • G1 E-100 F1000 ; Spit out the current filament
  • M0 ; Pause and wait for user input — here is where you manually change the filament
  • G1 E20 F10 ; Prime the hot end with 20 mm new filament — you might want more
  • G1 X-100 Y-100 F3000 ; Go back to where you began
  • G1 Z-10 F1000 ; Drop the hot end to where you started
  • G90 ; Set back to absolute positioning

How strong is 3D printed stuff? Seems like a lot of side pressure for strings of plastic melted together. I've never really held anything made by a 3D printer so I have no idea what it's capable of.

I hadn't really either...I can tell you the tray feels more sturdy than the finished round catch tray for the press straight from Dillon. It works really well on the InLine Fabrications mount I have

Back
Top Bottom