• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chasis v Stock (Hunting Application)

I've never hunted with a chassis style rifle stock, but to me the weight and style of it would make shooting off hand more awkward than compared to a factory styled stock. I do own an HS Precision stock on a Savage, with the weight added to a target style rifle I won't be carrying it through the woods anytime soon. If you don't mind the weight, off hand shooting would be the biggest challenge to get used to since the grip and stocks are meant for prone/bench shooting.

McMillan makes some quality hunting stocks, easier to manage than target bench style stocks.
There is personal preference involved, but the more vertical grips get your hand and booger hook into a more natural position and remove influence from your hand on the rifle, especially during recoil. The grip doesn't negatively affect off-hand shooting. Weight, mabe, but there are some lightweight chassis options

Since its going to be on the range a lot, then used in hunting applications, I may start with the chasis and get everything dialed in with all the modular options and then find a stock with the closest measurements on the features and swap back and forth as needed.

There is personal preference involved, but the more vertical grips get your hand and booger hook into a more natural position and remove influence from your hand on the rifle, especially during recoil. The grip doesn't negatively affect off-hand shooting. Weight, mabe, but there are some lightweight chassis options

Yea, for me I tend to have my elbow pointed to the right when I shoot off hand. When I do that the wrist is angled more to a standard style rifle stock rather than a pistol/target grip style.

Similar to the picture below, but here the shooter is using the sling to ensure a more precise shot at a longer distance.
standing.jpg

Since its going to be on the range a lot, then used in hunting applications, I may start with the chasis and get everything dialed in with all the modular options and then find a stock with the closest measurements on the features and swap back and forth as needed.

If you plan to swap stocks, always be sure to verify it's zero. The poi can be thrown off by the amount of torque you tighten the screws to & how it sits in the stock. Easier to just have a long range rifle and hunting rifle so you wouldn't have to waste time/ammo re-zeroing when changing stocks. Also, depending on if your hunting in the woods, a target style optic won't be as versatile as a 2-7 or 3-9.

Military Snipers have to be able to shoot from any position, and most use a chassis system nowadays. With proper form, they aren’t an issue.

Another thing to think of when using a more traditional stock that does not incorporate some sort of chassis for bedding, you’ll have to pay to have the action bedded into the stock. Not only is that an extra cost, that stock is now married to that rifle. On down the road, you decide to sell it, or move it to another rifle, it will need bedded again.

The chassis systems, however, are plug n’ play.

If you end up with a fairly compact rifle, the side-folding option is nice. Makes a small package for packing in and out. If you’re going with some sort of 26” boomer, for me the side-folding option isn’t as big a pro.

Make a list of pros and cons of each.

I’ve got a lot of fancy rigs, and every deer season I grab my blued Remington 788 .308 with wood stock.

cmshoot cmshoot
If you end up with a fairly compact rifle, the side-folding option is nice. Makes a small package for packing in and out. If you’re going with some sort of 26” boomer, for me the side-folding option isn’t as big a pro.

If I underatand you correctly, this thought process seems backwards to me. Why would you prefer the folding option on the shorter setup? It seems if you have the longer setup the folding option to shorten the overall pack length would be the benefit, what am I overlooking?

cmshoot cmshoot

If I underatand you correctly, this thought process seems backwards to me. Why would you prefer the folding option on the shorter setup? It seems if you have the longer setup the folding option to shorten the overall pack length would be the benefit, what am I overlooking?

if you’re already using a longer barrel you probably don’t care about OAL. If you want a light compact rifle, you cut ounces, barrel length and stock dimensions whenever you can. You’re building to a certain specification when you start going down roads like that.

Also, with a side folder, you’re introducing another variable to the accuracy problem. There is now a “weak point” in the stock where it folds at the hinge. It’s probably minimal, but with big boomers there can be a certain amount of play that could potentially impact accuracy. With lighter recoiling rifles the effects would be less. With the quality of folders now a days the point is probably mute.

I can understand that. Lets assume the folding chasis is strong enough for a "boomer". Also assume the build isn't chasing the compact or ultralight characteristics. Besides the strength / accuracy variable I couldn't see why having the folding option would not benefit a longer barrel rifle when packing. If you can shorten the overall length it sticks above your head, why isnt that a benefit.

I can understand that. Lets assume the folding chasis is strong enough for a "boomer". Also assume the build isn't chasing the compact or ultralight characteristics. Besides the strength / accuracy variable I couldn't see why having the folding option would not benefit a longer barrel rifle when packing. If you can shorten the overall length it sticks above your head, why isnt that a benefit.

it is but when you’re building for something specific in the long range world, you build very specific. If you’re building a long range boomer then you wouldn’t really care about a folding stock. If you were building a backpack, elk gun in 300RUM with a proof barrel, that will be in a pack all day then I see the advantage of a folder.

Back
Top Bottom