• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chasis v Stock (Hunting Application)

DrManhattan

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
110   0
Reaction score
Anyone have experience using a chasis for hunting? If so, what experience do you have and what input do you have for making a selection for a new build?

I'm looking at a MPA hunter light chasis or something like the HS precision/Mcmillian stocks, the cost difference and nominal weight difference isn't a consideration, just curious how cumbersome or troublesome packing a chasis would be vs a traditional stock.

I see a lot of advantages in the chasis for fitment and modularity and with the folding stock it may make a longer barrel more viable but is there much of a snag/debris difference when in actual use im the field?

Really only downside to a chassis is that they are typically metal and get cold and they make more noise on metal and such. Wear gloves and be careful and you are good to go.

Also give a good look at the Manners stock with mini chassis. Kinda best of both worlds. You do lose some modularity by nature, but they have plenty of options as far as forearm design, grip angle, etc. Can add an arca rail if shooting off tripods as well.

I've never hunted with a chassis style rifle stock, but to me the weight and style of it would make shooting off hand more awkward than compared to a factory styled stock. I do own an HS Precision stock on a Savage, with the weight added to a target style rifle I won't be carrying it through the woods anytime soon. If you don't mind the weight, off hand shooting would be the biggest challenge to get used to since the grip and stocks are meant for prone/bench shooting.

McMillan makes some quality hunting stocks, easier to manage than target bench style stocks.

Back
Top Bottom