• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Charter Fishing Trips

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Alright so my birthday is in April and I have never been on a chartered fishing trip. I'd like to mark that off my list. I hesitate to say I want to go deep sea fishing because if someone here recommends a species or a charter that goes out into brackish water such as Apalachicola I would be down for that also.
If I could get some pointers on fish species to pursue in April or specific names of charters that would be great also. Looking for either the Georgia Coast or Panhandle/Gulf Shores. Really not looking to drive past Tampa or Cocoa Beach unless there is a fish species that justifies the additional distance.
Would really like to do a trip where you are able to keep the fish you catch and they will prepare them for you to take home for the freezer.

Again I have 0 knowledge of this and have only fished saltwater at the Dunedin Causeway in Tampa catching fish less than 5 pounds.

TIA

Contact Dead Fish Charters.

https://deadfishcharters.com/

I have been on several charter fishing trips through the years and all of them have been disappointing... except with this Captain. Larry really knows his stuff and is a great guy.

I took my oldest daughter on a Tarpon trip with him in August several years ago and Larry said we didn't get into "The Show", but we caught one Tarpon, jumped two others, caught a bunch of sharks and Triple Tail, caught about a 300lb stingray and had an absolute blast.

Larry fishes at different locations along the Panhandle for different species depending on the time of year. I'm not sure what he would or could target in August, but be assured, he'll be good at it and you'll have a great time.

I have only fished saltwater at the Dunedin Causeway in Tampa catching fish less than 5 pounds.

from the photos i see of trips don't expect much bigger

during the 60's Destin was the place to go for Deep Sea Fishing from the old Kelly Wharf
huge Snapper and Grouper 3-5 feet long

now i only see fish no large than you get out of the river

my last trip was to Steinhatchee, caught a bunch of Specks near shore
and they packed for the trip home

from the photos i see of trips don't expect much bigger

during the 60's Destin was the place to go for Deep Sea Fishing from the old Kelly Wharf
huge Snapper and Grouper 3-5 feet long

now i only see fish no large than you get out of the river

my last trip was to Steinhatchee, caught a bunch of Specks near shore
and they packed for the trip home

I did my charter back then on the Linwood III private charter out of Destin. It's a long story that happened, trying to bring home all the King fish we had slain. Their were 4 coolers full of just Kings Fillets. We sold enough to pay the trip with our private charter..That was the last charter I went on with Papa and employees... Very seldom have I not gone past the reefs, tired of the Cuda's hitting and bringing 1/3 of the fish in. I miss those day's I have Salt in my blood, I was blessed as far as fishing, growing up in the northern keys..I even was lucky enough watching the statue of Jesus was being placed in John Penny camp Protected coral reef. Sad to say the state stopped going out to clean the statue of our Christ..It is all over grown with coral and sea fans and brain coral. Then and now photos sorry for the derailment.
[Broken External Image]:
Now, It is sad that they stopped cleaning our Savior's statue..I would post some pic's of what it looks now but, it is sad the state that it is in now...If you had been there when placed in the middle of Elk Coral surrounded with a sand area in the middle where he rest today...Its just depressing...

Johnny Green outta Orange Beach/Gulf Shores.
36 hour trip into the blue water.
Trigger fish, Red snapper, Grouper, Amberjack, Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi, Blackfin Tuna, Yellowfin tuna, Marlin.
Nothin' like wakin up and seeing the sun on the water and maybe a oil rig or two.
Time of your life, but it ain't cheap and the creel limits aren't what they used to be.

Alright so my birthday is in April and I have never been on a chartered fishing trip. I'd like to mark that off my list. I hesitate to say I want to go deep sea fishing because if someone here recommends a species or a charter that goes out into brackish water such as Apalachicola I would be down for that also.
If I could get some pointers on fish species to pursue in April or specific names of charters that would be great also. Looking for either the Georgia Coast or Panhandle/Gulf Shores. Really not looking to drive past Tampa or Cocoa Beach unless there is a fish species that justifies the additional distance.
Would really like to do a trip where you are able to keep the fish you catch and they will prepare them for you to take home for the freezer.

Again I have 0 knowledge of this and have only fished saltwater at the Dunedin Causeway in Tampa catching fish less than 5 pounds.

TIA
Florida creel limits for red fish and speckled trout is not good and getting worth April of 2020. Redfish one per day 18-27”, trout is dropping from 5 to 3 15-?” My suggestion is fish Venice La. inshore trout 25 per day and redfish is 5. Off shore in July yellow fin tuna, 2 red snapper a day, dolphin. That’s what I caught. Offshore boat fishes 6 inshore 4. A group of 6 reduces your cost. 6 offshore and 3 per boat inshore.

It's fun. I do know that. Just remember it's called fishing not getting. Last time I went the ocean was rough but we still caught good fish but it was a lot of work just to stand on the boat. The last 3 times I've been out was out of destin with the same boat. It was called Outta Line. The captain had retired and handed down the boat to his son. this last time we went out was with his son and it was still good. It's a 53 foot boat. I'm not sure if they do overnight trips though but they do 12 hour trips.

Florida creel limits for red fish and speckled trout is not good and getting worth April of 2020. Redfish one per day 18-27”, trout is dropping from 5 to 3 15-?” My suggestion is fish Venice La. inshore trout 25 per day and redfish is 5. Off shore in July yellow fin tuna, 2 red snapper a day, dolphin. That’s what I caught. Offshore boat fishes 6 inshore 4. A group of 6 reduces your cost. 6 offshore and 3 per boat inshore.
I 2nd Venice, LA. It is a little further drive than you wanted but entirely worth it. Mexican Gulf Fishing has several boats to get you to blue water around the gulf rigs for yellow and black fin tuna. You can hit your snapper, grouper and trout on the way back in. They have several boats and share info throughout the day to get you what you are after. Either a meat haul or chasing the biggest tuna you can will be a blast.

I 2nd Venice, LA. It is a little further drive than you wanted but entirely worth it. Mexican Gulf Fishing has several boats to get you to blue water around the gulf rigs for yellow and black fin tuna. You can hit your snapper, grouper and trout on the way back in. They have several boats and share info throughout the day to get you what you are after. Either a meat haul or chasing the biggest tuna you can will be a blast.
MGFC are the best charters in Venice.

Back
Top Bottom