• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Charles Daly 1911 trigger

GAGunguy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
260   1
Reaction score
I have a well used, Charles Daly 1911 that runs and shoots great. Its got a Vortex RMR and at 10 yards its very accurate. Its not an expensive gun, and its got a giant scratch/gouge on the slide from the previous owner, it looks like he dropped it on a sharp rock. So its not a high end 1911 by any means, but it shoots good.

The issue is that the trigger reset is way longer than other 1911's I have shot. I am wondering if upgrading the trigger is something I should attempt? Is it worth fooling with? Doing a $200 upgrade on a $500 gun doesn't make sense, but the reset is so long and has so much take-up that its so much different than other 1911's triggers that I don't like it.

Are there drop in 1911 triggers or does this have to be hand fitted by a gunsmith? Is it a DIY job if you have some basic mechanical ability?

Its not worth spending a lot of money on, but I am wondering if there is an easy fix.

Thoughts?

You can shorten the reset a number of ways: adjustable over travel screw trigger or fit a new grip safety to limit movement beyond the point where the hammer is released. You can adjust the take up with an adjustable take up trigger; most of these come with the over travel adjustment.

probably do it yourself for under $100

there are some good books

Pre travel adjustable trigger....the prongs stop the trigger from going so far forward...
FF5B327B-17DD-408F-8618-C1BDAB54ACFE.jpeg
over travel adjustable trigger...stops the rearward movement of trigger after sear turns loose...
image.jpg

Properly fitted and adjusted, you could get your total trigger travel down to an eight of an inch or less...

Back
Top Bottom