• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cerakote curing options

Copied from the cerakote site. Not that hot i guess. Its more about regulation.

Cure schedule for H-Series & Elite Series
  • Elite Series: 300 Degrees F for 1 Hour
  • H-Series: 250 Degrees F for 2 Hours
  • Flash Cure: (stencils) 150 - 180 Degrees F for 10 - 25 Minutes
  • Plastics or Polymer: 150 - 180 Degrees F for 2 Hours
  • Wood: 150 Degrees F for 2 Hours
  • Carbon fiber or Fiber Glass: 150 Degrees F for 2 Hours
Tips on Curing
  • Check for hot spots in your oven, using an IR (infrared) thermometer. Heating elements can create hot spot that may cause degradation in Cerakote aesthetics.
  • Do not place coated parts into direct head i.e. flame, or copper heating elements.
  • Convection style ovens are ideal for consistent heat distribution throughout the oven.
That last part. Thats the problem.

Very interesting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For small stuff , I have used a toaster oven from the Salvation Army. Great results.

No rifle work, but an old locker with the guts from a toaster oven will work, maybe a space heater if you want more wattage. Wrap locker in insulation and install thermostat and you can go big.
I like your style.

I would like to claim the ideas , but learned it years ago when first started to work with curing coatings.

You can get as sophisticated as you want with temp control, those parts are cheap.
Awesome. Im thinking a ply box lined with drywall maybe doubled up, then a layer of metal film of some sort, caulked in with fire rated caulk.

Then you can buy the temp control elements? I havent researched this extensively. Figured id ask on here first. This is an impulse thread.

Awesome. Im thinking a ply box lined with drywall maybe doubled up, then a layer of metal film of some sort, caulked in with fire rated caulk.

Then you can buy the temp control elements? I havent researched this extensively. Figured id ask on here first. This is an impulse thread.

The heating elements do not have temp controllers, you wire them in series with the elements.

You can just buy the ribbon elements like used in space heaters, they are sold as repair parts and can be had in 110V. Oven elements are 220V, except toaster oven elements.

On an insulated box, it doesn't take a large element to get to and stay at the desired temp.

Parts are easy to find on ebay.

The heating elements do not have temp controllers, you wire them in series with the elements.

You can just buy the ribbon elements like used in space heaters, they are sold as repair parts and can be had in 110V. Oven elements are 220V, except toaster oven elements.

On an insulated box, it doesn't take a large element to get to and stay at the desired temp.

Parts are easy to find on ebay.
Thanks brother. I got some work to do...
you-da-man-you-da-man-chuck-norris-approves-53236157.png

I built my own ovens and been using them for a few years now...toaster oven elements and a PID controller...boxes lined with thermotec insulation...
Two elements in each heat up very quickly and maintain heat very well...one is 24x24x48 and the other is 16x16x36...

20180413_215220.jpg

I use an upright electric smoker. I got a trager and retired the cheapo amazon special and was gonna chunk it untill I realized i can fit some large items in it for curing. Probably not the best method but it has worked for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom