• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CDL A pre trip inspection, and road test.

I got a full form when I tested... from front bumper to the rear dot bar. straight line back. off set right and the 90 dock. I was nervous as hell but killed it.
I got the power unit and the coupling system. I pulled the left side parallel park which was.....fun. The whole test took almost 2 hours from start to finish in the middle of August in a truck with no A/C. It was very challenging but I got through it. I had an advantage going in as I used to drive a yard dog/spotter truck so the only hard part was the PTI.

There’s plenty of stuff on YouTube

if you have time , the class at chatt tech is the best around .

basically you have to touch every component on the truck , name the component , and say you’re looking for looseness , damages , cracks etc

you have to do it enough to get a habit of doing it all in the same order , so you won’t forget to touch and name some component.

i have helped several people get their bus license , and the pre trip is always the problem with most folks

most people couldn’t find the dipstick with both hands and a map.
in the pre trip you gotta find it , touch it , name it , and say what you are checking for .
Same with the steering box , and the tie rods , and the leaf springs and the U bolts and and and and .

find a study video and print off the checklist .
practice it for a couple hours , three times a day for a couple of days and then get a friend to use the checklist while you do the pti

do you have a truck available to use when you take the test ?

Finding a truck to use is usually the hardest part .

There’s plenty of stuff on YouTube

if you have time , the class at chatt tech is the best around .

basically you have to touch every component on the truck , name the component , and say you’re looking for looseness , damages , cracks etc

you have to do it enough to get a habit of doing it all in the same order , so you won’t forget to touch and name some component.

i have helped several people get their bus license , and the pre trip is always the problem with most folks

most people couldn’t find the dipstick with both hands and a map.
in the pre trip you gotta find it , touch it , name it , and say what you are checking for .
Same with the steering box , and the tie rods , and the leaf springs and the U bolts and and and and .

find a study video and print off the checklist .
practice it for a couple hours , three times a day for a couple of days and then get a friend to use the checklist while you do the pti

do you have a truck available to use when you take the test ?

Finding a truck to use is usually the hardest part .
The school I am attending lets us go and use there trucks for practice between the hours of 1-2PM

Well, my bro failed again.
Didn't make it past the pre-trip inspection. He tried to study on his own but admitted that he couldn't keep his concentration and would wander away from the books and go watch TV or have a cigarette.
It sounds like he needs to sign up for an in-person CDL prep class.
Have him go to the school system transportation dept and tell them he wants to drive a school bus. They all need drivers. They'll teach him what he needs to get his certification and he'll get paid while being trained. If he already has a Class A Gwinnett County is paying up to $25/hr.

Back
Top Bottom