• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CDL A pre trip inspection, and road test.

I’m looking for class A cdl drivers! Good luck with the test. A few key things that helped me was ABC abrasions bumps and cuts when explaining tires and DOG dirt oil and grease on steps or handles. Make sure you know the lingo or they will fail you. These people doing the test couldn’t pull a truck out of a parking spot to save their life.
so true. not bent broken or cracked. no damage!

My dad was a driver from 1954 to 1997. The stories he told about the 50s, 60s and 70s.
Being stuck in blizzards in rural Michigan, broke down in the middle of South Dakota.
He told me back then if you broke down you could wait till a cop or someone drove by and call you in. Raise someone on the CB or fix it yourself!
lot lizards, black beauty’s, and driving through south Texas and Mexico with no AC

Got my class A in 2014 and the testing is not for the faint of heart. Best advice if you can already drive is find a school that will teach you the pre-trip. Most people fail the test on the pre-trip, air brake, or forget the seatbelt. The days of kicking a few tires and wiping a few lights have been gone. IIRC, on a rig there are 127 checks/components to remember 2-4 things each about, including the coupling system.

Present, securely mounted, not cracked or broken, correct color, mounted to the rim, check the pressure with a gauge, etc etc etc.

Take gloves and something to lay on, a clear head and patience. No small talk with the examiner.

And the pretrip is federal requirement, FMCSA sets the standard of what is to be checked. States can add to but not subtract from what is required for the check and for a license, if they so choose.

Got my class A in 2014 and the testing is not for the faint of heart. Best advice if you can already drive is find a school that will teach you the pre-trip. Most people fail the test on the pre-trip, air brake, or forget the seatbelt. The days of kicking a few tires and wiping a few lights have been gone. IIRC, on a rig there are 127 checks/components to remember 2-4 things each about, including the coupling system.

Present, securely mounted, not cracked or broken, correct color, mounted to the rim, check the pressure with a gauge, etc etc etc.

Take gloves and something to lay on, a clear head and patience. No small talk with the examiner.

I got a full form when I tested... from front bumper to the rear dot bar. straight line back. off set right and the 90 dock. I was nervous as hell but killed it.

Well, my bro failed again.
Didn't make it past the pre-trip inspection. He tried to study on his own but admitted that he couldn't keep his concentration and would wander away from the books and go watch TV or have a cigarette.
It sounds like he needs to sign up for an in-person CDL prep class.

Well, my bro failed again.
Didn't make it past the pre-trip inspection. He tried to study on his own but admitted that he couldn't keep his concentration and would wander away from the books and go watch TV or have a cigarette.
It sounds like he needs to sign up for an in-person CDL prep class.

chattahoochee tech has an amazing program with great instructors. test you on site and fairly cheap.

Back
Top Bottom