• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Casting/powder coating/ loading questions

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
Ok I want to load some subsonic 38 special rounds for a suppressed SBR build. My questions are what 158 grain mold would you use knowing your going to powder coat the projectiles, do you size them before or after coating if at all, and do you have to lube powder coated bullets

I use commercial cast and coated from Missouri Bullets. Not worth all the extra steps for coating, and I cast my own stuff on occasion.

I like the semi wadcutters ,they do well through a silencer.

Lots of commercial casters out there with Hi-tec coated bullets. They will have a gamut of bullet profiles and most sell them in 100rd sample packs so you can do testing before buying in bulk.

I cast I’m just looking for a recommendation on a mold to use and if you size and if you lube when powder coating
I've sized a lot of home cast bullets, I don't think I'd do it with lead without lube though. I think some members of the gun club here that use the paint/powdercoat do size after the powder coat is cured. You could get lucky and get a die that drops the exact diameter bullet you need and true-round to boot. Star sizers are highly recommended if you can find one although many folks I know use Lee.

I'd think a round nosed bullet would be optimum for loading in an SBR. By the way, is this a lever gun or some other SBR?

I can't speak to optimal bullet shape, don't own anything in 38 nor have I ever. I have cast and loaded other pistol calibers and have the most experience with 44mag in which an SWC design typically performed well but typically not subsonic. As for coating and lube pick one or the other. If you are gonna powder coat do your casting and coating then run through a sizing die to ensure concentricity and diameter, then you should be good to go

I've sized a lot of home cast bullets, I don't think I'd do it with lead without lube though. I think some members of the gun club here that use the paint/powdercoat do size after the powder coat is cured. You could get lucky and get a die that drops the exact diameter bullet you need and true-round to boot. Star sizers are highly recommended if you can find one although many folks I know use Lee.

I'd think a round nosed bullet would be optimum for loading in an SBR. By the way, is this a lever gun or some other SBR?
Yeah it’s a lever gun

I can't speak to optimal bullet shape, don't own anything in 38 nor have I ever. I have cast and loaded other pistol calibers and have the most experience with 44mag in which an SWC design typically performed well but typically not subsonic. As for coating and lube pick one or the other. If you are gonna powder coat do your casting and coating then run through a sizing die to ensure concentricity and diameter, then you should be good to go
So no lube needed with powder coated projectiles?

CastBoolits is a great site. Tons of info

Depending on what size your mold casts at and what your actual land/groove readings are for that gun determines if i size before coating.
If i coat, i use no lube.

Back
Top Bottom