• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cast iron skillet question

Please no wire wheels or sanding! Neither are necessary. If the iron has built up "gunk" on it, the best way to clean it is to soak in a lye/water solution which will eat the gunk away in a matter of days. This is great unless you only have one or two pans that ever plan to restore then it's not worth the trouble of setting up. In that case, get the yellow lid easy off oven cleaner and spray your pans heavily then insert into a contractor trash bag to keep all the chemicals in. Every day or so, check them and scrape off the residue until it's clean. Either way, it will look almost new when done. IF your iron is rusty, the best way is electrolysis but that's a bigger investment for just a few pans so you can soak in a mixture of vinegar and water for a bit then scour off the rust with a pad. Some say to get rust off with a potatoe and salt but I've never done that. When you get the gunk/rust off the pans, clean really good with soap and water then season. If you live anywhere in NEGA, PM me and you can use my lye bath.

Yes it can!!!!!! There are multiple different ways to fix it..I had a close brother do me a favor and sand blast one that was long neglected..You can also wire brush or sand one if you have the patience to. Then when it is free of all rust and pitting time to season the Cast Iron..I have thrown them in the campfire oiled up several times and other methods. On this one I just took it and oiled it up with cooking oil and baked it in the oven several times..It is back to it's splendor now and making Philly steak and cheese Sammy's, hash browns, Pineapple upside down cakes and all....Love all my Cast iron cookware... This in the beginning and the finished product! It's all about the love!!
View attachment 2818208
View attachment 2818209
Right DD!! Clean it real well, soap and water, let it dry. Then rub I with oil and bake it 375 for an hour face down on some foil to catch any dripping, let it cool in the oven. Helps to re oil occasionally.

Been working on this most of the afternoon. Much better now. Did a couple soaks in vinegar n water plus scrubbing with sos pad. Got a bit more to do but think I’ll be done by the weekend. Other one is not as bad as this one.

Please no wire wheels or sanding! Neither are necessary. If the iron has built up "gunk" on it, the best way to clean it is to soak in a lye/water solution which will eat the gunk away in a matter of days. This is great unless you only have one or two pans that ever plan to restore then it's not worth the trouble of setting up. In that case, get the yellow lid easy off oven cleaner and spray your pans heavily then insert into a contractor trash bag to keep all the chemicals in. Every day or so, check them and scrape off the residue until it's clean. Either way, it will look almost new when done. IF your iron is rusty, the best way is electrolysis but that's a bigger investment for just a few pans so you can soak in a mixture of vinegar and water for a bit then scour off the rust with a pad. Some say to get rust off with a potatoe and salt but I've never done that. When you get the gunk/rust off the pans, clean really good with soap and water then season. If you live anywhere in NEGA, PM me and you can use my lye bath.

Right on! What are you using to season with? I've tried several recommended oils, but grape seed and flax seed oils don't seem to give me as good of a coating as Crisco.

Recently, I started using a Crisbee puck, which I think contains beeswax. I'm just starting to experiment with it, so don't have a long term review, but seems a bit better than Crisco.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Crisco and aluminum foil for seasoning. Every now and then I scrub mine down a little extra to keep it smooth on the bottom and coat it in crisco and throw it on the egg while it's cooling down. Depending on how much crisco I use I'll wrap it in a little foil to keep it from dripping everywhere in the egg. But most of the time I just let it drip.

Right on! What are you using to season with? I've tried several recommended oils, but grape seed and flax seed oils don't seem to give me as good of a coating as Crisco.

Recently, I started using a Crisbee puck, which I think contains beeswax. I'm just starting to experiment with it, so don't have a long term review, but seems a bit better than Crisco.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I use a product called "Buzzy Wax" that I got online made specially for seasoning-prolly about the same as Crisbee. If I didn't use that, I'd use Crisco.

Back
Top Bottom