• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying in car without license.

ckarr

Bear Icon
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I was reading through some posts on here yesterday and came across one asking about carrying in your own vehicle. It got me to wondering that if someone chooses to carry a gun in their vehicle, but does not have a permit to carry, then what are the legal limits and use of that gun? Obviously defending yourself from being carjacked, but what if you see someone close by in a parking lot in danger and the situation would warrant lethal use of a gun? I didn’t really find a lot of cases or stipulations to give me some insight so I know I can get some here. Can that gun only be used inside the confines of the vehicle, or is there an allowable use of the gun outside for any reason? For these reasons yes I do believe it’s better to have a permit, but some people don’t and choose to just carry in their vehicle.

That's a good question. i wonder that too. I know u can have a pistol in your car without a permit because the vehicle is your property. But I don't know about that situation. Hope someone can help :)

1-- Generally speaking the legality or a legality of how you carry your gun is not relevant to the question of whether you legally use deadly force to save yourself or some innocent person from a violent criminal.

The two issues are separate. remember Bernie Goetz from New York City in the 1980s ? He shot some muggers on the subway who were armed with screwdrivers or icepicks. He was acquitted of all the charges for assaulting and harming those young men (hoodrats), but he was convicted of unlawfully carrying a handgun in New York. He didn't have a carry permit --never did. He had applied for one, and it was denied, before this incident took place.

2-- As another poster pointed out in that other thread, there is a Georgia law that basically says you have "immunity from prosecution" for violating any gun law in Georgia if the reason you violated it was to use your gun in lawful self-defense or legal use of force.

I was told by the hall county probate court 3 months ago that if you did not have a carry permit, you can have a firearm in your car but it was illegal to have it loaded.

I asked this question specifically because my permit had expired and I was waiting on my new one when all this covid crap happened.

I was told by the hall county probate court 3 months ago that if you did not have a carry permit, you can have a firearm in your car but it was illegal to have it loaded.

I asked this question specifically because my permit had expired and I was waiting on my new one when all this covid crap happened.
lol. They're idiots then.

You should verify this...I don't believe that this is the case.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

i found this in another thread. look at bold text

lol. They're idiots then.

Yeah, I think they are giving out bad info. Your car is considered the same as your house, your business, your land, you can carry, openly, concealed, loaded, unloaded and you have no requirement to notify a leo that you have a firearm in the car, GA law.

Back
Top Bottom