• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carnivore diet?

GlockDawg

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Assault Wookie
29   0
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried this?

I started 19 days ago on this diet, age 38, 5'10" 160lbs because I had mild insomnia, skin issues like dry patches on my forearms and sensitive red patches on my cheeks and forehead that would become dry and flaky after a shower unless I applied moisturizer but by the next day would flake all over again driving me crazy.

I am not diabetic though my father is type II, nearly 100lbs overweight and high blood pressure and has the same skin issues as me but his are way worse.

I am fairly slim guy as my average weight was about 165 although by the end of last year I weighed 178 and have had a fatty waist and an asymmetrical fatty lump that was deposited on my right hip that stayed for about 3 years.

The beginning of this year I started a fairly hardcore bodyweight workout and diet which consisted of 5 days a week workout and eating greens and protein. I managed to slim down back down to 165, my gut was slimming hips were still untouched and I continued this for about 9 weeks strictly.

I would note that during this time my skin issues remained the same though my insomnia had gotten better.

Eventually I lost motivation on the workout and scaled it back to the point where some weeks I would skip it entirely but I kept my eating habits in check for the most of it, some days I would be eating crap food along with my father while I was around him. I eventually saw the youtube videos about the carnivore diet and decided to give it a 30 day trial run and see what happens.

Sorry for the long intro but yes I am on day 19 and I am pretty blown away at some of the benefits it has already brought me and now I am thinking of extending the diet another month and see where it goes.

So what did it do for me and what have I noticed?

My skin issues are 90% gone! My face and arms are no longer red and sensitive or flaky.
The fat deposit that was on my hip is diminished and my waist is slimming up quickly.
Insomnia is gone, I fall asleep usually within 15mins and wake up less groggy.
I have notice less body odor after workouts and even bad breath after waking up.
I am less hungry, I have butter tea in the morning, eat at lunch and then again around 7pm.
I definitely have a better mood and seem to be more energetic throughout the day.

I gave up coffee and switched to Matcha butter tea which I have in the morning and evening which Is what I am sipping on as I write this. I mix it with MCT oil and cinnamon for extra taste and a nice pick me up. I ordered up some raw vanilla powder and looking forward to that as a bonus.

So I now weigh in at 145lbs and started back on my workouts, I figured with 0 carbs I would gas out quickly but that hasn't been the case yet.

Here is what I have been using up to this point.

Grass fed Beef organ supplements.
LMNT electrolyte drink mix.
Redmond RealSalt and regular black pepper.
Japanese Matcha tea.
Pastured unsalted butter.
Pastured eggs.
Grass fed beef liver.
Uncured bacon.
Various cheeses though I prefer cheddar or swiss.
Fatty cuts of meat, some ribeye but lots of ground beef.
Shrimp and Scallops have been a nice bonus as well.

I haven't bought any fish or chicken yet but I plan on getting an air fryer and using that for fish and maybe chicken wings.

That's about it guys, sorry for the long post but I felt like documenting this and seeing what you all think and If anyone else has tried this. I am certainly not recommending this for some people with heart conditions ect. I haven't talked to a doctor about this but I have heard mixed opinions about it and some doctors are strictly carnivore.

But I feel great, and looking better everyday!

Take care guys.

You're experiencing the benefits of a low carb/low sugar diet. When you keep your carbs down, your autoimmune system functions better and stops attacking your own body. In your case, the autoimmune malfunction is your skin irritation (psoriasis).

Been living a keto lifestyle for 30 months. Been a fantastic cure for my wife's arthitis.

Add whipped cream and no-sugar jello to your diet for desert. Almonds work well as a snack. Also, you may eventually tire of not having bread. There's a flat bread called Lavash (Ingles carries it) that works for rollup sandwiches. Also available as pita pockets. 8g carbs per serving.

This is great. It always feels good to accomplish something like this. It's hard work

I heard about it through Joe Rogan. He did the carnivore diet for a while. There are many benefits to it without a doubt. Just be careful. That's a lot of protein in a day which is hard on your digestive system. I had a friend that used to eat a lot of meat and his intestines almost shut down on him. Doing things for short periods is OK but diets like that can be harmful over long terms.

There are a lot of veggies that you can eat and still stay ketogenic even while eating a lot of them. This helps get some roughage in your system. I'm not 100% sure how to count veggie carbs but it's not quite the same as a bread/sugar carb. Ketosis is the reason that you are feeling a lot of the things that you are feeling.

So no carbs and no veggies either?

Correct. 0 carbs, 0 sugar and other than Matcha tea, 0 plants.

You're experiencing the benefits of a low carb/low sugar diet. When you keep your carbs down, your autoimmune system functions better and stops attacking your own body. In your case, the autoimmune malfunction is your skin irritation (psoriasis).

Been living a keto lifestyle for 30 months. Been a fantastic cure for my wife's arthitis.

Add whipped cream and no-sugar jello to your diet for desert. Almonds work well as a snack. Also, you may eventually tire of not having bread. There's a flat bread called Lavash (Ingles carries it) that works for rollup sandwiches. Also available as pita pockets. 8g carbs per serving.

Yeah I went through the keto flu for about 3-4 days witch was a little rough and got through it quicker than I expected. If I have any craving I just have a small slice of butter or a good quality jerky but I plan to stay 0 carbs as long as I can. The discipline so far has benefited me greatly. The only thing I plan to add to the diet is more fish, chicken and look into different spices that won't compromise the diet.

Yeah I went through the keto flu for about 3-4 days witch was a little rough and got through it quicker than I expected. If I have any craving I just have a small slice of butter or a good quality jerky but I plan to stay 0 carbs as long as I can. The discipline so far has benefited me greatly. The only thing I plan to add to the diet is more fish, chicken and look into different spices that won't compromise the diet.

Most spices are good to go. Even if they have some carbs in them such a little amount of spice is used that your body wouldn't register it. I would pick an end date, whatever it might be. Then start introducing some light carbs in, but that's me. Cucumbers are a good one. When I was doing keto I could eat a whole cucumber a day and still be way below the carb count. You might have a gluten intolerance as well. I had a friend that would get skin problems like what you described whenever she ate gluten. Either way staying away from breads and sugars will do your body well.

Good luck going forward and keep us posted on how things are going for you. I would love to get back to 165-170 one day.

Maintaining 0 carbs over the long haul is difficult. I would suggest you add some greens (salad with your meat) and modest carbs. 20 - 30g of carbs per day will probably keep you in Ketosis and maintain those benefits, and is much easier on the lifestyle.

Getting leg cramps?

Most spices are good to go. Even if they have some carbs in them such a little amount of spice is used that your body wouldn't register it. I would pick an end date, whatever it might be. Then start introducing some light carbs in, but that's me. Cucumbers are a good one. When I was doing keto I could eat a whole cucumber a day and still be way below the carb count. You might have a gluten intolerance as well. I had a friend that would get skin problems like what you described whenever she ate gluten. Either way staying away from breads and sugars will do your body well.

Good luck going forward and keep us posted on how things are going for you. I would love to get back to 165-170 one day.

I will add back plants eventually, what I love about this diet is that you bring your body back to a reset and then slowly add back in other foods and see what affects you. I work as an electrician and that's how we solve problems on troubleshooting issues. Start back at the source and work forward. Never thought about that for our bodies!:doh:

Thanks for the encouragement good sir, I'm looking to get lean and mean!

Back
Top Bottom