• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Careful at wineries in Dahlonega.

The mountains draw a hefty crowd of concrete slickers and Biden voters every weekend ...dont come up here thinking these country boys play like the soft ones that direct traffic at your elementary schools... :)

You joking? Ever heard of the 4th Amendment? A checkpoint is an unlawful search and seizure. Many court cases have argued this. Many states have outlawed it already. The only reason it's still allowed in GA and other states is the amount of revenue they generate when they pop all those folks who barely blow a .08 or have a tiny baggy of weed in the car. All they hear is cha-ching! It's not about "safety".

Sure if somebody is committing a traffic violation that's a different story, because there is a lawful reason to stop them. But a checkpoint/roadblock? No, the constitution doesn't support that.
I think you are mistaken. The courts have ruled over and over again that they are indeed legal, although the courts severely restricted their use, and tactics used.

Personally I think a DUI RB is useless if in place more than a few moments anyway.
But for man hunts, burglary suppression and such, they have their place.

All LE activity is a necessary evil, and should have very tight reigns on its implementation.

Yeah, just hope to God you never have a 6 year old look in your eyes and beg you to help them as they die in your arms after their mother‘s car was struck by a drunk driver. ****er.
I am going to reply to this comment again, because I'm not a sociopath and can empathize - even though the last word was an insult apparently directed at me.

If that was a scenario that happened, I'm truly sorry. I can't imagine the immense pain and grief it caused and I'm sure it's not something that would subside. I'm very sorry for your loss and putting myself in your shoes, I'm sure emotion would override logic and I'd respond the same way.

Years ago I saw a YouTube video where a guy went through a roadblock and he just held his license and insurance card up to the closed window. He told the cop that's all he had to legally do. Then he pointed out if he so much as cracked the window any smartass rogue cop could claim they smell alcohol or weed. Made a lotta sense.

One of my oldest friends used to be a Jones Co Deputy. One late night he stopped a car load of young thugs and soon as he approached the vehicle he jokingly asked " Okay where's the weed?" One of them I guess was so scared he just blurted out " Under the passenger seat,sir." So Mikey had to regroup and start over. Then he said " I really hate doing arrest paperwork and I hate searching vehicles worse than that. So once again let me ask where is the weed." They all acted kinda dumb and shocked but replied " uh...we aint got no weed sir." So he said " Good." Wrote a warning and sent them on their way.

Back
Top Bottom