• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car leaking oil question

Ive learned the odyssey suffers from catalytic converter failure, alternator failure, oil leaks, and transmissions.

The vtec solenoid makes people think its the rear main seal due to its location. The oil filter housing looks like the oil pan it leaking. The valve covers are also common.

Sucks but its nothing you did personally

She shouldn't of needed an oil change. It was done not to long ago. The cats on this van are no simple ordeal. 400 each for the ones on the motor and a **** ton of work to get to them. there's a third one to that is on the exhaust pipe. She just told me that it's the rear cat which is the easier one to get to. Bu I am damn sure not turning wrenches on a car that I don't own. i did tow it to the mechanic for her on Saturday and I am waiting on them to say what it costs to see what I am going to do for her.
The rear cat is not monitored on that van IIRC so that aint it. Have the shop you towed it to scan it and trust them not the parts store.

The rear cat is not monitored on that van IIRC so that aint it. Have the shop you towed it to scan it and trust them not the parts store.

They said the cats are good. They did an initial pressure test and then drove it and did another one and they were both clear.

That fluid should be cherry red. If it was dark enough to look like oil, it was well overdue. How many miles overall, and since last fluid change?

No idea. It's my wifes van and I tell her to make sure it gets maintained. It tells you on the dash when things are due for service. Soo... take that for what it's worth. I do feel like it wasn't that long ago.

Ive learned the odyssey suffers from catalytic converter failure, alternator failure, oil leaks, and transmissions.

The vtec solenoid makes people think its the rear main seal due to its location. The oil filter housing looks like the oil pan it leaking. The valve covers are also common.

Sucks but its nothing you did personally

The valve cover gaskets were replaced a couple months ago along with a seal somewhere on the bottom. and one of the CV joints and one other thing. To the tune of just under 2k. Don't remember which one it was though.
I honestly wouldn't of sold anyone anything that I knew was bad. This is a struggling mom. Her 4 daughters were so excited when they saw the van. I hate that she is in this position. But it is what it is. I know I'm doing what I can and going above and beyond what I need or have to do.

Check the trans vent tube, my cj7 will push fluid out of the dipstick when the trans vent tube gets clogged. Never had a failed trans push fluid out and I've had a few, not saying it couldn't happen though

Check the trans vent tube, my cj7 will push fluid out of the dipstick when the trans vent tube gets clogged. Never had a failed trans push fluid out and I've had a few, not saying it couldn't happen though

I appreciate the info. Hopefully it's something that simple. If it were mine I would be doing some diving to see what it might be. But I'm trying to keep some separation on this one since I sold it to her.

From what i have google foo on it if the van overheated it would cause this to happen. Not sure if it did though.

Back
Top Bottom