• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car leaking oil question

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I sold my van 2 weeks ago to someone. The van was running great. She told me Saturday the CE light came on and she had it checked at a box part store and they said the cat needs to be replaced. She left there and it ended up losing all power and what looks like oil is now leaking from it. It had no leaks when we sold it. A few months ago we had a bunch of gaskets replaced. The oil is full on the dipstick. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this or know what would do this. Is this more than likely 2 unrelated issues?

I honestly feel bad for her and I know what it's like to spend a lot (or what is a lot to her) on a car and it break down shortly after buying it. I know I owe her nothing but I would like to try to help her if I can.

Sounds like two separate issues. Clogged cats are a common issue. Are you sure she didn't "add" oil and that is why its leaking?

Oil wouldn't be coming from the CAT.

Did she have a "quick lube" change the oil? Their super bad, about putting the filter/drain plug on too loose, or too tight and not replace the washer if its a "forgein" car.

Hope you can help her, you could buy her a generic CAT to assist her something if you want to be nice.

Sounds like two separate issues. Clogged cats are a common issue. Are you sure she didn't "add" oil and that is why its leaking?

Oil wouldn't be coming from the CAT.

Did she have a "quick lube" change the oil? Their super bad, about putting the filter/drain plug on too loose, or too tight and not replace the washer if its a "forgein" car.

Hope you can help her, you could buy her a generic CAT to assist her something if you want to be nice.

She shouldn't of needed an oil change. It was done not to long ago. The cats on this van are no simple ordeal. 400 each for the ones on the motor and a **** ton of work to get to them. there's a third one to that is on the exhaust pipe. She just told me that it's the rear cat which is the easier one to get to. Bu I am damn sure not turning wrenches on a car that I don't own. i did tow it to the mechanic for her on Saturday and I am waiting on them to say what it costs to see what I am going to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom