• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car hauler trailer advice

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
For all you guys that have or have used them, give me some advice on what to look for. I am mainly wanting to get a flat car hauler to move a few cars of mine around, when needed. I have heard that I need a 20 foot, cause otherwise you have a hard time getting out, because of the door hitting the trailer fender. What is the weight difference in a wood topped one versus a metal diamond plate topped one. Is tubular construction better than channel. I don't need "super fancy", but I do want it to look nice. Also, I want to put a winch on it. Thanks for any input.

All the 20ft ones I ever saw were way too long. I'd say to get one with stake pockets on the sides so you can add sides and haul something other than cars. My 16 footer has hauled like two cars, a few tractors, a bunch of household stuff moving, and many cords of firewood. It hauled four big loads of firewood in the last couple of weeks.

Also LED lights would be nice. Trailer brakes A long enough set of ramps helps a bunch.

20171230_145709.jpg

I've been contemplating the same purchase.
Looking at used trailers on Craigslist, the metal deck ones look like they all rust.
So if I get an open trailer it will probably have the wooden deck.

If you gonna use it a lot and can drive get an alum. one. Fold down fenders similar to uhauls are great otherwise get an above axle flat. Metal works well but i bought wood for the flexibility of securing different loads.

16 or 17 feet is plenty long

Pay attention to the width

If you want to haul a full size pickup or car , most trailers are not wide enough

The fold down fenders are nice
And get brakes on both axles , or plan on adding brakes to the axle that doesn't have em

Pay attention to the weight capacity
Most trailers have 7500 lbs
Minus what the trailer weighs , put a full size old car on the trailer and you're very close or over the gross capacity of the trailer

Get one that has full boxed frame
The frame that's made from steel that's a rectangle , not just an L shape , the Trailers that have frames made from L shaped metal are landscape trailers made for hauling lawn mowers

I'd probably look at new ones
Used ones are priced really high and if you get a used one you wind up replacing all the tires and brakes and wires and lights
So unless the used one is less than $700 it's not worth the trouble

And get a spare tire
I travel a lot and I see a trailer sitting on the side of the interstate almost every day with a blown tire and no spare

Back
Top Bottom