• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car carry question

I guess you are untitled to your opinion .
This is the car equivalent of open carry in a garbage nylon holster... It's legal but it's a terrible idea.

Also why give an officer cause for alarm and a reason to pull you out of the vehicle and search the area you can reach? Why give up the element of surprise in the event of a car jacking or other violent encounter? Why inform any criminal looking into your vehicle that there are likely unsecured firearms in your vehicle? I see zero advantages to using the under steering wheel mount you posted.

This is the car equivalent of open carry in a garbage nylon holster... It's legal but it's a terrible idea.

Also why give an officer cause for alarm and a reason to pull you out of the vehicle and search the area you can reach? Why give up the element of surprise in the event of a car jacking or other violent encounter? Why inform any criminal looking into your vehicle that there are likely unsecured firearms in your vehicle? I see zero advantages to using the under steering wheel mount you posted.

There is no way that if you have your gun holstered anywhere on your body and have your seatbelt fastened that you can get your gun out if someone is coming in your window. Your gun will be under the seatbelt. You will be dead. You have your opinion and i have mine. You think yours is right and i think mine is right. But if someone is coming in my car window i wont be tge i sitting tgere dead with my seatbelt still fastened over my gun.

There is no way that if you have your gun holstered anywhere on your body and have your seatbelt fastened that you can get your gun out if someone is coming in your window. Your gun will be under the seatbelt. You will be dead. You have your opinion and i have mine. You think yours is right and i think mine is right. But if someone is coming in my car window i wont be tge i sitting tgere dead with my seatbelt still fastened over my gun.
Sorry friend, but you are incorrect. It's called appendix carry, and I've practiced it plenty of times with either hand. Seatbelt goes across my beltline, shirt goes over top. Even with strong side carry, your seat belt should be across your hips/chest/shoulder and not the grip of your pistol.

Easy fella, the first statement you made here is wholly false.

This thread is un the gun LAWS section.
The OP wanted [to] talk about the legal implications of [carrying] this way[,] not whether it was practical or [e]ffective or tactically sound.
I think five out of the 55 replies in this thread actually attempt to address his legal question.

So, to recap...
(assuming we're done talking about jerking off in your car and having pistols flying around the passenger compartment in the event of an accident, and all the other off-topic or stupid stuff)...

What we are left with is the conclusion that any person who is not prohibited from having a handgun can carry that handgun in their car. Furthermore, [t]he law is now silent about how it may be carried in a car, whereas in the past the law had prescribed that only certain locations in the car could be used to transport a handgun, or that the gun would have to be "fully exposed to view." Court cases have held that meant in view of the general public watching you drive by. (That was a standard that was pretty much impossible to meet unless you hung the gun dangling from a string from your rearview mirror!)

Therefore, per the latest version of our law, any location in your car is now OK, and any degree of concealment is fine-- fully open, fully concealed, or partially concealed.

Back
Top Bottom