• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Radiation Treatment side affects following Prostrate Surgery - Update 7/2/20

WOW! Brother.... That's a pretty intense fight!
May the Almighty Lord, The Life Giving Spirit of God be at your side and in you. In Isaiah 43, God pretty much said we would pass thru this kinda fights and valleys, but He Said "I will be with you!!"
Praying for a fast recovery In the Name of Jesus!!

what chemo do they have you taking? from the extended time frame to administer the chemo, I was wondering if they are giving you FU-5 or Oxiplatin I am not sure that is spelled correctly.

Etoposide and Carboplatin from the paperwork I was given. Three treatments in one week; first one takes 3 hours and the next two are one hour each. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Still learning as I go.

Faith, Family, Friends - all are needed and all are appreciated. Thank you for each and every comment from you guys.
Will update after treatment tomorrow.

ok. I had colon cancer back in 2018. I went thru chemo treatments that would last 54 to 56 hours at a time. Every 2 weeks for 4-1/2 months. The neuropathy still bothers me in my feet, and sometimes my hands.

My tumor was down low in my lower intestine, about 2 inches up from the anus. They had to take out 17 lymph nodes and quite a bit of muscle in the pelvic floor, along with about 14 inches of the lower intestine. The dribbling pee was an issue for a while, but with exercise, I have gotten it under control 98% of the time. The only time now is sometimes there is some pretty intense pain from the radiation and going to potty a lot, and when my butt is on fire, it is hard to control the bladder.

Wish you well, and I hope you have a full recovery.

January 7, 2020
Thought I would start a new thread on my ongoing Cancer treatments.
Original thread can be found here:
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...state-surgery-and-results-see-post-1.2073628/

All thoughts and prayers appreciated.
Just to recap: Had prostate removed on November 7, 2019 along with 2 lymph nodes and pieces of my bladder and rectum. Biopsies came back positive in some spots for small cell carcinoma a rapid growing cancer. Had a CT Scan with dye done mid December and it came back with spots of cancer showing up. We discussed and my Dr. Garrot (cancer Dr) conferred with several other Doctors and concluded we needed to start Chemo, hormone therapy, and then Radiology therapy.

My hopes are to be totally cancer free sometimes in the fall of 2020. Today was the first chemo treatment.

Had a port installed in my chest on 1/6/2020 so I would not need to be stuck in the arm each trip for chemo injections. The port install went very good and took about 20 minutes. Total time in the hospital was a couple of hours. That might be one of the smarter things I have done.

Went into the chemo area. With the port it was just a little stick and everything was ready to administer. First visit is a three hour time frame to get all the medications into my bloodstream. Sit back in my recliner and watched HGTV while the IV bags dripped. Sipped diet coke and ate snacks, took a nap, watched more HGTV. The procedure went well today. No nausea as of yet but have prescriptions if I do.

Second and third trips are to be around one hour each for more drug administers. From what I understand it is 3 days of chemo, two weeks of recovery then back to the three days of chemo. In between they will be doing other things but trying not to think to far ahead and stay positive.

Hope this info may help someone considering this procedure. It surely helps me in writing about it. I'll update in smaller write ups I promise! Thanks for listening - :amen:

I have been there 2004-2008, had Kidney Cancer. Just, stay strong and positive. I will start Chemo again soon since my Cancer in my legs now. I'm Praying for you.

So here's the deal. Went through the chemo and finished it in late April. Started 39 radiation treatments in May. Just finished the last one. The radiation did a complete number on me. Always fatigued, tired, and weak. Hard to walk over 30 feet without sitting down. They brought me back in today for IV fluids but other than blood pressure is better (118/62 compared to 80/60 or even less the last couple of days.
Any of you experience this coming off radiation? Guess I'll hang in there, no must left to do. Cardiologist said heart good, lungs ok, They say just push the water.
thanks, Rod

You've GOT THIS !!

Went through the same crap myself last year. Last checkup on 8JUN was all clear.

ANYONE reading this should have their PSA checked at their next physical or at least once a year.

It's a simple blood test and could save your @#$. Literally... :)

So here's the deal. Went through the chemo and finished it in late April. Started 39 radiation treatments in May. Just finished the last one. The radiation did a complete number on me. Always fatigued, tired, and weak. Hard to walk over 30 feet without sitting down. They brought me back in today for IV fluids but other than blood pressure is better (118/62 compared to 80/60 or even less the last couple of days.
Any of you experience this coming off radiation? Guess I'll hang in there, no must left to do. Cardiologist said heart good, lungs ok, They say just push the water.
thanks, Rod

God bless you. Keep up the battle, you are winning! I've had my cancer in remission since November 2016 and will fight it again if it comes back. Faith, family and friends is key.

Back
Top Bottom