• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Radiation Treatment side affects following Prostrate Surgery - Update 7/2/20

cullyhog

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
January 7, 2020
Thought I would start a new thread on my ongoing Cancer treatments.
Original thread can be found here:
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...state-surgery-and-results-see-post-1.2073628/

All thoughts and prayers appreciated.
Just to recap: Had prostate removed on November 7, 2019 along with 2 lymph nodes and pieces of my bladder and rectum. Biopsies came back positive in some spots for small cell carcinoma a rapid growing cancer. Had a CT Scan with dye done mid December and it came back with spots of cancer showing up. We discussed and my Dr. Garrot (cancer Dr) conferred with several other Doctors and concluded we needed to start Chemo, hormone therapy, and then Radiology therapy.

My hopes are to be totally cancer free sometimes in the fall of 2020. Today was the first chemo treatment.

Had a port installed in my chest on 1/6/2020 so I would not need to be stuck in the arm each trip for chemo injections. The port install went very good and took about 20 minutes. Total time in the hospital was a couple of hours. That might be one of the smarter things I have done.

Went into the chemo area. With the port it was just a little stick and everything was ready to administer. First visit is a three hour time frame to get all the medications into my bloodstream. Sit back in my recliner and watched HGTV while the IV bags dripped. Sipped diet coke and ate snacks, took a nap, watched more HGTV. The procedure went well today. No nausea as of yet but have prescriptions if I do.

Second and third trips are to be around one hour each for more drug administers. From what I understand it is 3 days of chemo, two weeks of recovery then back to the three days of chemo. In between they will be doing other things but trying not to think to far ahead and stay positive.

Hope this info may help someone considering this procedure. It surely helps me in writing about it. I'll update in smaller write ups I promise! Thanks for listening - :amen:

Update January 14, 2020.

Well the first set of three days of Chemo has been completed as of last week. Today I had my first shot of Hormone therapy.
1/7/2020 - Day one - long day - I got:
Decadron - steroid - make my blood sugar go out the roof but dealing with it
Carboplatin - main chemo drug. So far so good but steadily get more tired in the week.
Etoposide Inj - more cancer drug
Aloxi - to stop nausea
Cinvanti - more anti nausea drug
About three and a half hours later all drugs are dripped through and I can do home. The port works well.
1/8/2020 - Day two - about two and a half hours:
Etoposide - one big bag takes about 2 hours
1/9/2020 - Day three - about two and a half hours
Etoposide. Then they put the time release Neulasta on my arm. It administers the next afternoon for about 2 hours. It promotes white cell growth. Works in the bone marrow.
1/14/2020 - Tuesday, January 14, they inject me with Lupron. This is a hormone therapy drug I get every 3 month.
So far just a little queasy and not nauseated. I get more tired through the week. Had about a 12 pound weight gain through the first dosage but now have urinated most of that out and the weight has been lost. Nursed are great and Doctors are good about explaining. This process with go on for about 3-4 months then probably another CT Scan to see what is there.
I think I can handle this if it stays like it is. Nothing drastic as far as pain. I'm "off" for two weeks, then start the cycle again. Should start feeling better now for at least a week. Thanks guys for thoughts and prayers. They Do Work!

Update March 13, 2020

Finished up what hopes to be the last chemo treatment yesterday. A few days of icky feeling and hope to start getting back to a normal way for me. Chemo was better than anticipated. No really bad nausea, just a little from time to time. It did wreak havoc with my Diabetes blood sugar for a few days afterward.

Now I see the Dr again and set up another set of scans to see what has happened. Radiation probably will start in May for who know how long. All and all I feel like I may beat this thing. Thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes.
Will update again once I have more info.

Take care brother -- prayers sent. Never experienced going through this myself, but I've had friends tell me that the best things they did were to get regular, daily exercise (even just a simple walk), and to eat LOTS of greens & vegetables. No sugary stuff -- cancer loves that.

Back
Top Bottom