• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a Family memeber sell me a gun?

We established that about 100 posts ago.

Buying a gun as a gift is not a "straw purchase" as the ultimate recipient of the gun does not provide the funds for the purchase.
I'm confused then... you said "that's the way it's supposed to happen"
...but then you agree that buying a firearm as a gift is legal.

I've had a gun shop refuse to sell me a .22 rifle when I said it was for my nephew.
Even after I clarified it was a GIFT, not a straw purchase. I wasn't acting as an agent for my nephew, doing his errand for him.

They tried to "explain" the law to me, but I saw thru the B.S. and knew it was just this one dealer's misunderstanding of the law, OR maybe a "store policy" at that business, designed to err on the side of caution.

I'm confused then... you said "that's the way it's supposed to happen"
...but then you agree that buying a firearm as a gift is legal.

In the post to which I agreed, the poster stated someone said" "I'm buying this for my husband"." Nothing in the post indicates it is for a gift. If that is what is said, the FFL has no way to discern if it is intended for a gift or a straw purchase.

Nevertheless, if you are reckless enough to say that to the FFL, I can guarantee you 100% that the FFL will not complete the sale. The FFL has no obligation to complete a legal sale, and being as it's taken over 100 posts here to make the point clear, the FFL is not going to take the time to parse out the details of the transaction between husband and wife. If I had an FFL, I would refuse the sale under those circumstances. Is the FFL going to get the wife to sign an affidavit that she is the sole source of the funds for the purchase, and she is not using a joint credit card, or drawing on a joint bank account?

In the post to which I agreed, the poster stated someone said" "I'm buying this for my husband"." Nothing in the post indicates it is for a gift. If that is what is said, the FFL has no way to discern if it is intended for a gift or a straw purchase.

Nevertheless, if you are reckless enough to say that to the FFL, I can guarantee you 100% that the FFL will not complete the sale. The FFL has no obligation to complete a legal sale, and being as it's taken over 100 posts here to make the point clear, the FFL is not going to take the time to parse out the details of the transaction between husband and wife. If I had an FFL, I would refuse the sale under those circumstances. Is the FFL going to get the wife to sign an affidavit that she is the sole source of the funds for the purchase, and she is not using a joint credit card, or drawing on a joint bank account?
I get what you're saying now. Makes sense. The FFL form allows one to put on there that the purchase is a gift but if the FFL has any reason to suspect a problem, I could see them canceling the sale.

Back
Top Bottom