• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a Business LEGALLY Refuse Cash As Payment

buttplate

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I had an issue this morning with Mister Car Wash in Monroe. I left home with my license and a $20 dollar bill. When I pulled in the guy was standing at the gate where you mortally put your money in to pay. The guy asked if it was credit or debit. When I told him it was cash he replied that they were not accepting cash, didn't I have a card. When I told him no he pointed me to the exit. At that point I asked for the manager. He said he was the general manager but that it was a corporation rule. We exchanged several other comments, no cursing or personal insults but not because I didn't think of any. I did point out that on the bill it states that this is legal tender for all debts. He said he didn't care and that i would need to leave. To be fair with him he did offer me a free $7 wash but I declined as I had driven there for the $20 deluxe wash.

MY QUESTION : IS THIS LEGAL? Can a US business refuse to accept US currency? Dropping this is not an option so what agency can put a stop to this behavior?

I have been to businesses where a sigh is displayed stating "we do take cash but had rather you use a card". This is the only one that has refused cash.

I had an issue this morning with Mister Car Wash in Monroe. I left home with my license and a $20 dollar bill. When I pulled in the guy was standing at the gate where you mortally put your money in to pay. The guy asked if it was credit or debit. When I told him it was cash he replied that they were not accepting cash, didn't I have a card. When I told him no he pointed me to the exit. At that point I asked for the manager. He said he was the general manager but that it was a corporation rule. We exchanged several other comments, no cursing or personal insults but not because I didn't think of any. I did point out that on the bill it states that this is legal tender for all debts. He said he didn't care and that i would need to leave. To be fair with him he did offer me a free $7 wash but I declined as I had driven there for the $20 deluxe wash.

MY QUESTION : IS THIS LEGAL? Can a US business refuse to accept US currency? Dropping this is not an option so what agency can put a stop to this behavior?

I have been to businesses where a sigh is displayed stating "we do take cash but had rather you use a card". This is the only one that has refused cash.

You turned down a FREE wash?

smhn.gif

The idea that people actually think this is somehow wrong says a lot on how far this country has fallen.
Next thing you know people On this site will be pissed that someone wants to trade for a specific object, instead of cash....

Oh, Wait...

You turned down a FREE wash?

View attachment 2650800
I skipped over that part of this because when I want my way I will ram my head right up my ass too. Not that buttplate buttplate is an asshole (I really don't believe that dude) but I'm the same when when I feel like I deserve satisfaction and don't get it. I'm an asshole.

Back
Top Bottom