• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calling all TRUCK guys! Help.

View attachment 2614591 View attachment 2614592 A friend of a friend has this one for sale.
Not sure if it’s your cup of tea but apparently the mechanicals are awesome and it’s a stick shift.
This would make someone a really cool offroad project toy or a hunting rig.

2.8 v6 5 speed runs great asking 1800. 87 model. 120k on it and yes it’s a 4x4.
Thanks but I’ll pass. Awesome truck though.

View attachment 2614591 View attachment 2614592 A friend of a friend has this one for sale.
Not sure if it’s your cup of tea but apparently the mechanicals are awesome and it’s a stick shift.
This would make someone a really cool offroad project toy or a hunting rig.

2.8 v6 5 speed runs great asking 1800. 87 model. 120k on it and yes it’s a 4x4.

I....really like that truck.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I’m going to up my budget and look for a decent Tacoma. too many ads with ‘rebuilt engine’ in it for the F150s.
You can alleviate a lot of worries about the engine by considering a 1997-03 F150. The 4.6 and 5.4 engine from that era is solid and reliable. The 2004+ engines with 3 valves per cylinder and variable valve timing are the problem. These supposedly improved around 2011.

The early two valve 4.6 engine continued through the entire life span of the Crown Victoria and is part of what made it so reliable.

You can alleviate a lot of worries about the engine by considering a 1997-03 F150. The 4.6 and 5.4 engine from that era is solid and reliable. The 2004+ engines with 3 valves per cylinder and variable valve timing are the problem. These supposedly improved around 2011.

The early two valve 4.6 engine continued through the entire life span of the Crown Victoria and is part of what made it so reliable.

You ain’t kidding.
I have. 2007 E250 cargo van with the 4.6.
Has 210-k miles and there is not one spec of an oil leak under that engine and I run it hard every day.
Never had any issues with that engine and I’d be confident to drive it California today.
The only issues I’ve ever had were two bad coil packs within a couple years of each other.
I carry a spare and a cheap code reader.
I keep up the maintenance probably more than others would cause I’m a mobile mechanic and it’s my shop on wheels.
My only real issue is the front end eats up the inner edge of my front tires and I gotta replace the dreaded radius arm bushings and every now and then my transmission will slip at slow speed and I have a perpetual check engine light with a torque convertor lock up code that won’t erase and I think it’s affecting my tow/haul function cause it quit working when the check engine light came on.
I’m not a transmission guy by any means.

LuLz, I’ve spent more man hours diagnosing and replacing coil packs, coil drivers, and inserting time-serts in the 5.4s from that era than I can shake a stick at. That’s just for starters.

Back
Top Bottom