• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calling all TRUCK guys! Help.

mgonza

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
‘Bout Tre Fiddy
171   0
Reaction score
Hello my ODT brothers.

My job is transferring me back to Atlanta and it’s time for me to get a new vehicle. I’ve never had a truck but I have always wanted one. I am looking at a budget of around 3 to 4 grand and anything less. I’m looking on Facebook and see quite a bit of F150s for that price range but I don’t know anything about them.

what should I look for? What are known issues? Also how many miles can F150s go for? Are Tacoma’s better? They seem to command a higher price.

also if you know anyone who is selling their old truck, let me know!

Thanks!

Stay away from the 5.4 Triton on the F150. If you can come up with extra cash, yes a Toyota will do great, which is why they hold a good value used. I'm not saying the Ford is bad but if someone has paperwork to back up all the problem repairs I might be ok with it. People want outrageous prices for used (read 'junk') trucks nowadays

that was the same budget i was looking at and after going through a bunch of search i ended up with a v6 frontier. I'd highly recommend something Japanese. An older hardbody for a smaller truck, frontier for a medium size, and tundra for somethign larger and all are in your budget. if i did it all over again i'd prob go with a tundra

Stay away from the 5.4 Triton on the F150. If you can come up with extra cash, yes a Toyota will do great, which is why they hold a good value used. I'm not saying the Ford is bad but if someone has paperwork to back up all the problem repairs I might be ok with it. People want outrageous prices for used (read 'junk') trucks nowadays

I’ll second that on the 5.4

A 5.4 in its natural state, is parked in the driveway with the hood up.

I’ve got 230,000 miles on 2011 f 150 4 door 4x4 5.0 without doing anything other than regular service ! Changed oil every 8500 miles for first 100,000 and now change every 5000 miles ! Got a 2016 with 70,000 same setup service it every 5000 miles! Hard to beat f150 with 5.0 in my opinion! Neighbor has a 2003 f150’with about 400,000 with nothing done but service and drive !

I’ll second that on the 5.4

A 5.4 in its natural state, is parked in the driveway with the hood up.

yall some haters on the triton lol. with regular maintenance (and research of what to expect from a 5.4l triton) 5.4l is a rock solid motor.....once you update the cam phaserz (or delete them).....and replace the stock 2 piece spark plugs.......and it just had a natural injector tick you gotta deal with lol. ye ole Triton Tick i call it. went from 65k when i bought mine to 230k+ when i sold her. never let me down or on the side of the road. if you wait till that stuff breaks to fix you got a major headache lol. But even owning one as long as i have i would never buy another 5.4l without dealer records of work "fixing" all the issues with the triton motor lol.

and to the OP, 3-4 grand will get you a decent used car/small suv, or a crappy used truck. my 2 cents lol.

Thanks for the input.

You can do some research on all of the models here.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/
upload_2020-5-4_23-7-53.png

I don't think you'll find a tacoma that's not ragged out for $4k.

As far as f150s I see people still asking $4k plus for 90s square bodies. Don't confuse the old 5.0 with the new 5.0 either.

I think the Chevy 5.3 is a better motor than the 4.6l or 5.4l but that's only bc I'm tired of working on the 4.6l.

I would keep your eye on Craigslist, also check out proxibid for a good deal on a 2wd work truck. Proxibids premium vary from auction to auction though.

Back
Top Bottom