• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calling all Eggheads.. and normal ODT hooligans.. STEAK opinions!

So, I love steak. Obviously. Who doesn't. I am looking for something new to try.. I usually grill mine on the Big Green Egg. I have tried different seasonings and rubs. Not really alot of marinades.. from what I see out of most of these "Pro" grill guys is obviously a choice cut.. I cant afford Wagyu. But what do you guys do on the kamado grills? Ever try reverse sear? Gimme some things you have tried for the perfect steak!

I typically prefer thick Ribeyes cooked Med rare!

View attachment 2391576

This looks like my dinner Monday night... And I do use Dales....

Try smothering the steak with plain yellow mustard then grilling on both sides till your desired preference. You won't taste the mustard but it creates an outer coating that keeps the juices in.

Get a good cut. I typically go for a dry aged ribeye from the local butcher. Salt and pepper are the only needed seasonings. Cook on a hot cast iron skillet. Medium rare at most. Cooking on cast iron will change you.

Also very important is the quality of the steak....

If you guys ever make it up my way.... Right across the border in Warne, NC... Go to Brasstown Beef....

Hold your nose, as you are walking by the cows that will become your steaks....

https://brasstownbeef.com/

Get a good cut. I typically go for a dry aged ribeye from the local butcher. Salt and pepper are the only needed seasonings. Cook on a hot cast iron skillet. Medium rare at most. Cooking on cast iron will change you.
I've recently started cooking my ribeyes on a hot cast iron skillet. You're right, I've started to prefer that over grilled. I add a little olive oil and do the salt and pepper only too, but I add finishing butter after. Damn good steaks.

My method:
Go to Costco/Sam's and get you some Prime (one grade over Choice) Ribeyes and NY strips. Crank your grill up to 550-600 and heat a cast iron pan.

Season with your favorite steak seasonings and throw it in the pan for a high heat quick sear.

After the sear, I have my sous vide warm to 130 degrees and cook the steaks to perfect edge-to-edge medium rare.

Once they are done, I will quickly refresh the pan seared crust with a torch and then serve.

Salt and Pepper. I would never put all those commercial seasonings on a Prime piece of meat. Most chefs never use anything buy S&P. Maybe a butter baste at the end.
All those seasonings are crap, why buy a premium cut of meat and put all that on it?

Marinade in olive oil and sea salt each side while letting it get to room temp. Throw it on a hot grille or skillet, butter and pepper each side. Take it off at your desired level (medium, medium rare for me).

ARCman47 ARCman47 Get you some good weed to rub on it...best steak ever :becky:
LMFAO!!!! Hell yea mane!

FirstOnlyCuscus-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom