• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Call before you dig

I was building fence one time and was using a tractor mounted post driver. Punched a hole in a 36 inch natural gas line with a piece of 6 “ pipe. Learned my lesson real quick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

36" gas line. Holy crap, I bet that was fun.

About 8 years ago or so I hit a 2 inch feeding a 14 story building about 5' from the meter. That one was sure enough screaming. That cost me about 8 grand. 2 weeks ago i hit a little one around 3/4 maybe 1/2 inch. It was only about 4 inches in the ground. I was at Peachtree and 8th. Not sure what that one will cost me yet. It was marked and we were using shovels, I just figured it would of been a little deeper.

I was building fence one time and was using a tractor mounted post driver. Punched a hole in a 36 inch natural gas line with a piece of 6 “ pipe. Learned my lesson real quick

:shocked::shocked::shocked: Thats a big gas pipe!
Me and dad were digging up our old septic field line 20 years ago with a backhoe. He never called and we found our gas line. 2 hours later Atl Gas Light shows up. He steps out of his truck and first thing out of his mouth was “whats that water spewing up with the gas” :pound:
Hell you can cut your cable mowing.....they only bury the darn thing 6 inches at best
Mine was 2” max. Right at the surface.
that when I do something stoopid...NOT to post about it on ODT looking for sympathy...
Posting here keeps me out of the bars. :)

36" gas line. Holy crap, I bet that was fun.

About 8 years ago or so I hit a 2 inch feeding a 14 story building about 5' from the meter. That one was sure enough screaming. That cost me about 8 grand. 2 weeks ago i hit a little one around 3/4 maybe 1/2 inch. It was only about 4 inches in the ground. I was at Peachtree and 8th. Not sure what that one will cost me yet. It was marked and we were using shovels, I just figured it would of been a little deeper.

It took them a day and a half to fix it. Lots of equipment and manpower. Big shelf of limestone rock under pipeline and it was about 3 feet deep. When the gas company was done they handed my dad a bill for $145,000. Dad got out his checkbook and started to write a check and then he turned around and pulled the original easement for the pipeline out of his truck and showed them were it stated pipeline will be a minimum of 6 ft underground. He said “I’ll write this check but you are going to start on our east boundary and go to the west boundary and put the line at least 6 ft deep”. There are several places on our ranch that this line was exposed and others that weren’t 6ft deep. The company guy got on the phone with his boss and cane back to dad and said “what if we call it even “? Dad told them that sounded like a good deal. I’m sure glad he remembered that part of the easement.

If you call that 811 number "before you dig" are you creating a permanent record of your
ground-disturbing activity that can be used against you if your digging violated some
local building code, an EPA regulation, or OCGA code section 16-10-31 (concealing the death of another)?

Asking for a friend.

Some digging is best done anonymously.

digging-a-grave.jpg

Back
Top Bottom