• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cades Cove Timber Rattler

Y’all probably been closer than you think if you hunt in the south. I’ve had the unfortunate experience to cross paths with 7 or 8 over the years. All but the one at cades cove went on to snake heaven
Believe me I know. I've crawled all over all kinds of woods and actually never come across a venomous snake of any kind, in Georgia that is. But I'm 100% positive they've seen me. Again, good with that.

Was strolling through some acreage for sale in Mississippi a few years back. At one point, mid-stride of my walk, looked down to see that I was straddling one in a coiled position. I think I jumped 10 feet and never looked back. It was a very hot, mid-August day... I am guessing the heat helped disguise my presence and probably why he didn't strike.

20748301_10214165501917986_5344265080999344476_o.jpg

Got this one a couple years ago.
This was moments before his last rattle.

Bout 30 years ago went down to Ocala to visit a friend. We were riding mtn bikes along some rr tracks then cut off throgh a field. Grass was not real high a we were riding by side when I saw what I thought was a log. We split it and realized what it was. Don’t know what kind of rattle snake it was but it was thick. Only one I ever saw.

thTs what they make the zoom function for.

Exactly. I was not as close as the video appears. I thought I had captured the part where it completely coiled up and was holding it's rattle above it's body, but I managed to fat finger the stop button evidently. As soon as I turned away and headed back to the truck, it uncoiled and did not waste time heading to the side of the road.

We had a family with small kids pull up behind as as it was crawling away, and I think they got a good glimpse of it. The lady said they had never seen one before.

Back
Top Bottom