• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cades Cove - Bears are everywhere right now

spistols spistols , Yep, it's not terribly far from Townsend, TN, and Cades Cove is in the Smokey Mountain National Park.

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU , we've been plenty of times and got skunked seeing anything other than the horses (that everybody thinks are wild - lol).

So now days that the wife and I aren't fishing near as much as we used to, so going up to see the bears makes my wife happy. And getting out of the house for a long drive to and back after a stressful week of work makes me happy.

So, my wife is now an expert at spotting them, and I've learned a bit from her. The problem with Cades Cove is, if you are going the posted speed limit of 20mph through the loop, you likely ain't going to see squat unless you are lucky enough to catch some crossing the road (low chances of success).

The trick is, only do 5 - 10 mph through the loop, and look into the woods on both sides for black blobs. Yeah, most of the black blobs will be rotted or charred tree stumps. But you will have an excellent chance of seeing them that nobody else knows are that close to the road. My wife has caused many a traffic jam doing just that, and the sea of cars around us had no idea they were that close to the road.

And as we get further into summer, take the Rich Mountain Rd (just past Hyatt Lane). It's less travelled than the loop. If it's dry, any car ever made can easily handle Rich Mountain Rd. It's not a tough drive at all, and will dump you out into Townsend, TN.

I just read that they have now closed 13 miles of the AT to sleeping over including the Double Springs Gap Shelter because of aggressive young male bears. Hang all your food, keep the gate shut, and keep your head on a swivel if you are cooking outside the gate. They will come to dinner.

Yes the state that don't burden their residents with extra 6% taxes lol.............

And as of 7/1 TN is constitutional carry. I'm probably going to be moving back before too long. 11 years here in GA, but now being 100% work from home, I've got the opportunity to get back to family.

Love going here with the wife, but usually don't see any bears as well. Deer are really active around December. Have some really nice pics of them around that time.
Took this one a couple years back.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623086923090.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623086923090.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom