• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buying first Compound bow

Gillette

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I am biting the bullet and now on the hunt for my first bow. I would like to drop about 1large on a new compound bow with all the bells and whistles for deer hunting this year. I am looking for advice on where to shop. I am left handed and am hoping to walk out of someones door all set up and ready to go. Looking to get this done quick. Any pointers and help appreciated. There is so much out there to chose from it is hard to know where to start.

If you're only looking to spend about $1k, stay away from most of the big brands new bows. Most of those are $850+ for a bare bow, with zero bells and whistles. My advice would be to shoot as many as possible to see what you like, then find a used one thats already set up. You can usually find some pretty good stuff in the $500-800 range used. A lot of people buy a new bow every year cause they have to have the latest, greatest thing on the market, which means lots of bows for sale that were only used for one season or maybe two.

C9DC370A-8906-49AC-AD15-AFBF9B8B8BB6.jpeg
I got a Mathews creed xs forsale with everything on it

Hit the archery talk classifieds. There are some great deals on there, especially for left handed bows. I just bought a 65lb PSE Evolve 31 with a QAD drop away ($100 new) for $618 shipped. I then bought a $100 Trophy Ridge single pin sight for $45. I’m under $700 set up o a 1 yr old flagship bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say make sure to purchase your bow from a retailer that can properly set it up in store and has a proper bow press. Also avoid buying online or at stores that don’t have the proper equipment to let you try it out in house via a small shooting range.

I remember one time a fellow came to the public archery range in my city with a bow he bought online and was super stoked to use it, just to find that draw length was way off and the poundage was too high for him.
He then left all upset and I haven’t seen him at the range since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom