• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a gun without a serial number

Not 100% True as you can sell one you have built for yourself you just have to put a serial number on it and your name as Manufacturer (intent is a beast on this one meaning if you built one then later sale it fine but you build 12 and then sell 12 you would be looking at Jail Time).
and partially true as you can not build them to sell as you would fall under class 7 FFL manufacturer and ITAR rules.

That would be playing in a very questionable area and I would not want to be the one who has to see how it ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be playing in a very questionable area and I would not want to be the one who has to see how it ends

Not questionable its a fact you can sell one as per BATF rules, but can not make one to sell so again Intent is the Key here.

Federal law does not require a homemade gun to have an identifying marker (such as a serial number), as long as it remains in the possession of the original maker. However, if the gun is subsequently sold or otherwise transferred, it should be marked prior to its disposition. The ATF suggests that all homemade firearms be marked with a serial number as a safeguard in the event the firearm is lost or stolen, but no where says that it requires one if the gun is otherwise lawfully transferred in the future from a non-licensee.

Edit: I also understand that some do not want to even think about this but to each their own.

If you complete and 80% you aren’t allowed to sell it legally. A person is able to build a firearm only for self use, while following all class 3 laws also. Can not sell it though.

Do you have authority for this position? If you don't think that a person who manufactures his own firearm can sell it, what do you think happens to it when he dies?

Do you have authority for this position? If you don't think that a person who manufactures his own firearm can sell it, what do you think happens to it when he dies?
Agreed, and here is the rest of the story:

a nonlicensee (Citizen of the USA) may manufacture a semiautomatic rifle for his or her own personal use…However, if the firearm is transferred to another party at some point in the future, the firearm must be marked in accordance with the provisions set forth in 27 CFR § 478.92 (formerly 178.92).

Since the words “must be marked” appear, people sometime assume that means the personally made and used firearm that is now being transferred must be marked. However, the full statement includes “must be marked in accordance with…27 CFR § 478.92”, which clearly only applies to FFL holders. In other words, as I understand it, not placing markings on the gun would not take you out of compliance with 27 CFR § 478.92, so long as you did not otherwise fall under the requirements of the CFR.

I am not a Lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Express Inn but i can read So YMMV and take with a grain of salt.

Not 100% True as you can sell one you have built for yourself you just have to put a serial number on it and your name as Manufacturer (but this is only suggested on the serial number and intent is a beast on this one meaning if you built one then later sale it fine but you build 12 and then sell 12 you would be looking at Jail Time).
and partially true as you can not build them to sell as you would fall under class 7 FFL manufacturer and ITAR rules.

Only licensed manufacturers are required to put serial numbers on guns. 18 USC 923(i).

I’m capable of reading and doing research considering I make most of my own. Everything In life has special circumstances but I can’t just go and make guns and sell them.

GCA '68 went into effect on Oct 22 1968. Gun was probably made before October. This, by the way is the same law that required FFL transfers and FFL's. Before '68 there was no such thing. This was all put into effect because of the Kennedy assassination where supposedly this guy Oswald shot Kennedy with an Italian Carcano rifle he bought from the back of the an American Rifleman magazine.

Yah, and isn't it funny that Oswald's rifle HAD a serial number, plainly visible, and the FBI had no trouble tracing that Carcano carbine from the wholesaler (who added the scope to it and sold it that way) to the dealer to the assassin himself. Several years before the GCA was passed.

Back
Top Bottom