• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building ar. Pistol or rifle

gregar

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
39   0
Reaction score
I need some help with a build.
Does a lower used in a pistol build have to be somehow identified or labeled as a pistol? Or can any lower be used. Also can any lower be swapped back and forth between pistol and rifle configurations.
My info so far is confusing. Help me ODT.

As long as the lower was bought just as a lower, it can be either. You can make a pistol into a rifle, and back into a pistol. You cannot make a rifle into a pistol.

if its labeled pistol that is all it can be. also an AR pistol can not have a vertical grip but an angled grip is ok
I have to disagree. What it is labeled means nothing. How it is first completed is what is the deciding factor. If it is first built in to a pistol it is then a pistol lower but a pistol can be turned into a rifle and back to a pistol as often as you want. If it is first completed as a rifle it will always remain a rifle. Any pistol AR or otherwise can be turned into a rifle but a rifle can never be converted to a pistol unless is started life as a pistol.

Yes, a pistol lower is more flexible because of the fact that a pistol can be turned into a rifle then back into a pistol as often as you like. It matters not what the markings on the receiver says. Not in GA or not by federal law. Some state laws may vary, which is the reason some manufacturers sell pistol marked lowers to begin with.

I was under the impression that if it was registered as a rifle, pistol, or other, it can be rifle. A lower that is registered as a rifle cannot be reconfigured into a pistol. Which makes me sad.

Back
Top Bottom