• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bugging Out Lessons from AT hiking

lostgeorge75

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I did a 3-day, 32 mile hike last weekend on the AT. Some things of note:

-My pack was 52 pounds (I packed heavy on purpose). Humping it wasn't an issue until it came to negotiating down hill rocky paths especially at night. It was a lot slower than I expected going down the mountain with the extra weight while trying to not to roll an ankle on the rocks. I have done this same section with a 30 pound pack much faster in the past.

-At least one guy seemed uncomfortable when he noticed my large alice ruck sitting on the rocks near the Blood Mountain shelter. There was a green Infidel hat and fixed blade knife strapped to my ruck.

-Practicing noise and light discipline is always invaluable, but other hikers/campers are very spooked when you pass quietly by with no lights on.

-Filtering water with a hand pump backpacking filter at water locations took longer than I liked. I am going to revert back to purification tablets so I can quickly fill, drop a couple tabs and head out.

-Mountain House meals make great sleeping bag warmers when waiting the 8 to 10 minutes after pouring in boiling water.

-Land nav in the foothills or flat ground is entirely different than the mountains. Not harder, just a different skill set. Dead reckoning is near worthless and terrain association is invaluable.

-Switching to an homemade alcohol stove and 91% alcohol was better when trying to keep light discipline at night. Not any major improvement but better than the faint blue flame my commercial stove puts out.

-Woodland bivy sack with no shelter are pretty low profile even when very close to people. I had 3 people set up camp within 15 yards from me, shining lights all over and walking past my camp to the privy. The next morning they were surprised I had spent the night there and said they had no idea.

I threw together a SuperCat Alcohol Stove last minute. It was thrown together last minute and pretty rough. But it worked well with my 2 quart backpacking pot and doesn't require a pot stand.

It takes more fuel that a regular stove but takes up less room and if it breaks a new one is $0.99 worth of potted meat or tuna. Just don't go and burn it in your tent or inhale the isopropyl alcohol fumes, they are not good for you.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Alice packs not the most comfortable in the world for sure...but if that is what you have that is what you use. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I use a wood gas stove that I built myself. Works pretty good!

I actually like the alice pack but you're right, it isn't the most comfortable thing. I really perfer my Molle ruck but didn't want to take Uncle Sam's property with me. I need to pick up one on ebay eventually.

Got pics or plans of your wood gas stove? That would be pretty cool.

I actually like the alice pack but you're right, it isn't the most comfortable thing. I really perfer my Molle ruck but didn't want to take Uncle Sam's property with me. I need to pick up one on ebay eventually.

Got pics or plans of your wood gas stove? That would be pretty cool.

Here are the plans I used: http://people.morrisville.edu/~ballarbd/Woodgas/WoodgasCampStove.pdf

The Alice Pack is functional and I actually use a few as panniers for a pack horse. I have also used the frames by themselves to packout large equipment/game meat that will not fit in a bag. I used an Alice Pack back in the day as well.

You can use different size cans and make variations using the plans as a guide. I am going with a stainless steel cans for inner can for my next stove. The soda cans become brittle overtime. I actually had a soda can melt on me. There are other ways to build. Here is a link to Instuctables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

Last edited:
My alice pack isn't that bad with the frame. I haven't however done any hiking of any sort since my days in the Corps

"Mountain House meals make great sleeping bag warmers" - That's a great idea. I will try that out sometime.

I was wondering, did you have any trouble finding water on the AT ?

Back
Top Bottom