• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bug out to the hills.

I live in rural area with some land and would not be accepting strangers to come in if they decided to "bug out" from their location. Had a couple of acquaintances at the beginning of the Covid crisis ask me if things got bad could they and their families come out to us. I said let me see a resume. Do you know how to farm? Do you KNOW how to hunt and fish? Do you KNOW emergency medicine? What is the list of supplies you are bringing with you? Do you have guns? ammo? Do you know tactics? Are you able to take orders from me? So I said, no we are good, you need to figure something else out. The time to learn how to do all these things is not at the moment or after SHTF but the time to learn is now. Learn all these skills now. You may say I cant farm anything I live in apartment building ….yes you can...take a couple of buckets and grow cucumbers, tomatoes...just something for you to learn how. Take a medical course...CPR course, basic first aid. Research and learn. Go buy a cheap fishing pole and go try to fish. If you never hunted research what you need to do...start out simple and shoot a squirrel and learn how to cook it and eat it (little more challenging than you imagine if you never done it).
The term "buggin out" to me is little overused and somewhat of a fantasy IMO. If people started bugging from a city that would be a huge strain on all resources and would just cause mass chaos. Because chances are if a true bugout happened, it would be all cities just not one. That would be a huge migration. The term to me implies, you aint going back. So that means you are trying to take all your crap with you...try that sometime on a Saturday...loading your car or truck up with all your crap that you would need to take to never return. Cooking, medication, clothing, security, tents, water, food, gas, guns, ammo,blankets, etc and now multiple all those items by how many is in a family. Now fit all that crap in a back pack and walk...not going to happen. Fit in your car...not going to happen. Stuff is heavy. IMO, a better option is to spend all your energy, planning, preparation, stocking, into hunkering down where you are currently and fortify your ability to survive in place. And do that now don't wait until you have to because then it is to late.
Now the statement or question can be what if a natural disaster...well that is a little different compared to a bug out IMO. That is usually only occurring in one state at a time, in a specific area of that state and is an evacuation. An evacuation, IMO, means everyone plans to return so not that many items are going to be needed to evacuate like you would need in a bugout situation. And the parties evacuating are not running to rural areas, they are going to preplanned areas and mostly populated centers.

I live in rural area with some land and would not be accepting strangers to come in if they decided to "bug out" from their location. Had a couple of acquaintances at the beginning of the Covid crisis ask me if things got bad could they and their families come out to us. I said let me see a resume. Do you know how to farm? Do you KNOW how to hunt and fish? Do you KNOW emergency medicine? What is the list of supplies you are bringing with you? Do you have guns? ammo? Do you know tactics? Are you able to take orders from me? So I said, no we are good, you need to figure something else out. The time to learn how to do all these things is not at the moment or after SHTF but the time to learn is now. Learn all these skills now. You may say I cant farm anything I live in apartment building ….yes you can...take a couple of buckets and grow cucumbers, tomatoes...just something for you to learn how. Take a medical course...CPR course, basic first aid. Research and learn. Go buy a cheap fishing pole and go try to fish. If you never hunted research what you need to do...start out simple and shoot a squirrel and learn how to cook it and eat it (little more challenging than you imagine if you never done it).
The term "buggin out" to me is little overused and somewhat of a fantasy IMO. If people started bugging from a city that would be a huge strain on all resources and would just cause mass chaos. Because chances are if a true bugout happened, it would be all cities just not one. That would be a huge migration. The term to me implies, you aint going back. So that means you are trying to take all your crap with you...try that sometime on a Saturday...loading your car or truck up with all your crap that you would need to take to never return. Cooking, medication, clothing, security, tents, water, food, gas, guns, ammo,blankets, etc and now multiple all those items by how many is in a family. Now fit all that crap in a back pack and walk...not going to happen. Fit in your car...not going to happen. Stuff is heavy. IMO, a better option is to spend all your energy, planning, preparation, stocking, into hunkering down where you are currently and fortify your ability to survive in place. And do that now don't wait until you have to because then it is to late.
Now the statement or question can be what if a natural disaster...well that is a little different compared to a bug out IMO. That is usually only occurring in one state at a time, in a specific area of that state and is an evacuation. An evacuation, IMO, means everyone plans to return so not that many items are going to be needed to evacuate like you would need in a bugout situation. And the parties evacuating are not running to rural areas, they are going to preplanned areas and mostly populated centers.

well said. Welcome to the ODT.

We always plan on bugging out to some remote location if TSHTF. How do we know that we will be welcomed when we get there? The rural areas probably won't be as welcoming as some think. Triple the population, a strain on resources, who to trust. Just looking for opinions.

If you live in Cataula you're already in a remote location. If the SHTF our plan is to get to friends/family in Shiloh.

Back
Top Bottom