• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick Stew

This is a recipe published by UGA, and it is the best I have ever tasted. Labor intensive, it basically takes two days to prepare.

The recipe comes from this pamphlet which I used a resource for many, many large BBQ. Has all the info you will even need on quantities, portion control, and recipes.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiYu4y5pKDgAhUGPN8KHWy7BWIQFjAAegQIChAC&url=https://athenaeum.libs.uga.edu/bitstream/handle/10724/12255/B1039.pdf?sequence=1&usg=AOvVaw35Uqjafr-1FrfKVTwlXjOL

That looks like a good recipe, and an original version may have come 1826, but I'm pretty certain "Louisiana Hot Sauce" and Worcestershire Sauce weren't around then.

I'm going to try that BBQ sauce recipe.

The use of "catsup" ( instead of "ketchup") in the BBQ recipe points to the turn of the 20th century.

You are correct, Worcestershire Sauce was not commercialized until 1837 and Tabasco not commercialized until 1868. I wonder what they used back in the day.

The base taste of Worcestershire Sauce is anchovies (throw that out as chatter at your next cocktail party), and there were anchovy based sauces, but probably not commercially, and especially not in 18-early 19th century America. So I think the sauce is a later add on - and I'm not saying that critically, it will bring out the flavor of the meats.

"Louisiana Hot Sauce" would have been provided by a handful of ground up dried hot peppers.

Note that the UGA recipe does not have any hot pepper. I'm lazy and substitute about 1/3 of the tomatoes with Rotel and it gives it the right zing for my tastes, and the hot is already blended inl

Now that my friends is what REAL ole timey brunswick stew looks like....I could eat a gallon with a half a loaf of white bread right now!!! Dang that looks good!

Thanks! I am just an old man that has a special passion for good grub..I really enjoy watching and reading about others, that have that love for cooking...I was lucky, at the age of maybe 6, Mom asked if I was hungry and wanted a sandwich? To which I said yes and she promptly, push me in the kitchen and told me to make one..Yes Yes Yes I know don't start with the jokes please...Been learning all my life and destroyed a ton of good pork and beef learning...Forgive me

Don’t know where this stands with y’all, but this is as my father’s recipe that he used for little league baseball fund tasing in the 70’s.

Attachments

• 4C0BEB75-DD32-4990-AAD1-41C0C1799812.jpeg
    4C0BEB75-DD32-4990-AAD1-41C0C1799812.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 24
Brunswick stew

1 gal stewed tomatoes

1 gal whole corn

1 gal cream corn

2 smoked chickens shredded

2 large Boston butts smoked and shredded not chopped.

My meat I hand pick, I don't like fat or gristle.

I do cheat and use several bottles of Sweet baby rays Q sauce.

On my meat I add a homemade rub and spritz with apple juice every half hour.

1 large bottle of Tappy's hot bull sauce.

One the seasonings after it is all in the pot are hard to measure. I usually cook for 2-3 days to prep...

3 large Vidalia onions diced.

This will start you off with about 5 gallons but it grows. Constant stirring I use a boat paddle, it will stick to the bottom. Cook down for about 4 hrs constantly tasting for seasoning needs..

When I am done I like to have some heat in the bite and then it has a hint of sweet. I know I am forgetting something.

These are just cliff notes but gives you an idea
Thanks for the recipe. Whenever my Dad cooks a pot of Chicken Stew he always add the corn last to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Is that what you do?

Back
Top Bottom