• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick Stew

I will be glad to sit down with someone and they can take notes..:D
Someday. I'd be keen to hear how you make it. I've only seen my grandmother make whole hog's head stew using a gigantic wash pot and a hand grinder. My dad makes a 'quick' stew using canned ingredients that's passable. Next time I'm at Georgia Bob's on Riverside I'll take a photo of an old news article that lists a massive, MASSIVE ingredients list for stew. They must have been cooking for thousands as it calls for something like 200lbs of salt (IIRC), LOL!

Took me 40+ years of experimenting and would take a small book to write..I just remember it from making several 100 gallons, over the years.
I remembered there was a thread and I didnt know if you posted in it. But man that looks good.

I've never considered taking 72 hours to learn a recipe but just by looks I can see it would be worth it.

Brunswick stew

1 gal stewed tomatoes

1 gal whole corn

1 gal cream corn

2 smoked chickens shredded

2 large Boston butts smoked and shredded not chopped.

My meat I hand pick, I don't like fat or gristle.

I do cheat and use several bottles of Sweet baby rays Q sauce.

On my meat I add a homemade rub and spritz with apple juice every half hour.

1 large bottle of Tappy's hot bull sauce.

One the seasonings after it is all in the pot are hard to measure. I usually cook for 2-3 days to prep...

3 large Vidalia onions diced.

This will start you off with about 5 gallons but it grows. Constant stirring I use a boat paddle, it will stick to the bottom. Cook down for about 4 hrs constantly tasting for seasoning needs..

When I am done I like to have some heat in the bite and then it has a hint of sweet. I know I am forgetting something.

These are just cliff notes but gives you an idea

Brunswick stew

1 gal stewed tomatoes

1 gal whole corn

1 gal cream corn

2 smoked chickens shredded

2 large Boston butts smoked and shredded not chopped.

My meat I hand pick, I don't like fat or gristle.

I do cheat and use several bottles of Sweet baby rays Q sauce.

On my meat I add a homemade rub and spritz with apple juice every half hour.

1 large bottle of Tappy's hot bull sauce.

One the seasonings after it is all in the pot are hard to measure. I usually cook for 2-3 days to prep...

3 large Vidalia onions diced.

This will start you off with about 5 gallons but it grows. Constant stirring I use a boat paddle, it will stick to the bottom. Cook down for about 4 hrs constantly tasting for seasoning needs..

When I am done I like to have some heat in the bite and then it has a hint of sweet. I know I am forgetting something.

These are just cliff notes but gives you an idea
looks like it's time to get a smoker.
Any dried seasoning?

Thanks for the recipe. I will message you if it gets hairy

Back
Top Bottom