• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Browning Sweet Sixteen value

Waveraider308

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
185   0
Reaction score
I ran across a Browning Sweet Sixteen the other day, made in Belgium overall pretty good condition. Only part not original is the aftermarket recoil pad, not sure if the stock has been cut down or not. Question is does anybody have a ballpark value?

I ran across a Browning Sweet Sixteen the other day, made in Belgium overall pretty good condition. Only part not original is the aftermarket recoil pad, not sure if the stock has been cut down or not. Question is does anybody have a ballpark value?
I’ve got a family heirloom sweet sixteen that’s unmolested. It’s been hunted. I’m scared to put a price on it because guns are bringing stupid money since pandemic. The worst molestation is a polychoke, ruining any value to me. I bet the one you saw was priced above $800.

The age, condition, and model will influence prices. Having a round knob on the rear stock signifies an old one. The vent ribbed barrel is more desirable and expensive and the distinctive gold trigger. 5 years ago, an old farmer buddy offered to sell me either of his well used 70’s models that had the bead on post front sight for 1k. He then sold me this 73 vent rib model NIB for 2k and I grabbed it. They are the ultimate in gentleman bird hunting shotguns. You’ll love dove hunting with yours. Amazing shotguns.

Attachments

• 7BFBA3C4-3FF8-4231-BEDA-6A5A9E836D61.jpeg
    7BFBA3C4-3FF8-4231-BEDA-6A5A9E836D61.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0553E56D-5BC1-4DE4-8E84-3729124FA0F7.jpeg
    0553E56D-5BC1-4DE4-8E84-3729124FA0F7.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 17
I like learning new things and there’s a lot of wisdom and experience with collectors on here. What is short chambered sir?

A chamber that is shorter. You're welcome.

Standard shot gun shells in all gauges are 2 3/4" inches.

Pre-WW II, common length for a 16 ga.., especially in Europe was 2 9/16 ".

In a fixed breech gun it's not particularly dangerous to fire the longer shells in the shorter chamber, assuming the gun is otherwise in good shape, but I wouldn't do it in a semi-auto.

If it's a "shooter grade" gun it's easy enough to lengthen the chamber, DYI if you are inclined.

It's unlikely it's short chambered, but something of which your should be aware.

I’ve got a family heirloom sweet sixteen that’s unmolested. It’s been hunted. I’m scared to put a price on it because guns are bringing stupid money since pandemic. The worst molestation is a polychoke, ruining any value to me. I bet the one you saw was priced above $800.
The Poly choke could have been installed by Browning. Browning has records and can tell you if they installed it.

It's true that Po;y Choke negatively effects the value, but most people don't know it's was a Browning offered option, and IMO opinion over react to it's presence, The chokes work, they don't really interfere with the operation of the gun.

IMO again, it's like downpricing a 1970s car because it has an 8 track player. It's "of the period".

Point being if it's a cherry collector item in impeccable condition, the value might suffer from "style points", but if it's shooter grade, the Poly Choke should have negligible impact on the value.

If you intend this Seeet 16 as a shooter, to see regular use, consider the cost and availability of 16 gauge shells.

I traded into a 16 ga. semi-auto 2 years ago, and finding ammo has been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom