• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brisket help needed

FYI, Kroger has briskets on sale for $1.99 pound this week. Most of them are around 15 pounds.
Like above I smoke to internal reaches around 200--205 then wrap and put in a cooler for at least 2 hours. Usually comes out great. Once the fat starts rendering around 160* it may stay at that temp for hours depending on the amount of fat.
I'm no expert by any means. I use an electric sealed smoker that doesn't use a water pan.

Cook to temp and tenderness, not to time. At 250* can be 6 hours can be 14 hours depending on size, moisture content, who knows what else. Sometimes they stall and just don’t seem to want to get going again.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a ball park time. I've heard around an hour a pound before with watching the temps. I don't want to start it in the morning and it become my midnight snack. That's happened to me before with a butt. It was more operator error than anything.

You are closer to an expert than some of the experts I've seen giving instructions. I wrap my Briskets in foil when the IT gets to 155 and take the brisket off the smoker at 205-210. Slice thinly across grain. In my opinion, when I buy a packer brisket I check it for flexibility by putting my hand in the middle of the meat and see if the meat tries to flop over my knife edge hand. If it lays straight as a board put it back in the showcase and move on to the next one.

Good advice here.
I would just add:
Trim well (1/8-1/4" fat layer max).
Cut out any hard fat especially the deckle (Google it).
I inject mine with some low sodium beef broth, adobo seasoning, and Accent.

I'm in the fat side up crew.
I also go with low and slow vs. hot and fast.

My key is letting it rest!
Once you've hit 203-210 it needs to sit in a cooler a minimum of an hour.
My last comp. the brisket hit temp very early and ended up resting in the cooler for over 2 hours.
No biggie, took 6th place out of 29 in backyard.

I can't stand Bad Byrons rub (too salty).
RecTec has some amazing rubs but my goto is Pappys.
TX BBQ uses a simple rub salt, pepper, and garlic.

My color developed is enhanced with a rub that contains a lot of paprika.
Best of luck!

20190428_160432.jpg

Good advice here.
I would just add:
Trim well (1/8-1/4" fat layer max).
Cut out any hard fat especially the deckle (Google it).
I inject mine with some low sodium beef broth, adobo seasoning, and Accent.

I'm in the fat side up crew.
I also go with low and slow vs. hot and fast.

My key is letting it rest!
Once you've hit 203-210 it needs to sit in a cooler a minimum of an hour.
My last comp. the brisket hit temp very early and ended up resting in the cooler for over 2 hours.
No biggie, took 6th place out of 29 in backyard.

I can't stand Bad Byrons rub (too salty).
RecTec has some amazing rubs but my goto is Pappys.
TX BBQ uses a simple rub salt, pepper, and garlic.

My color developed is enhanced with a rub that contains a lot of paprika.
Best of luck!

View attachment 2551856
Love those burnt ends!

Back
Top Bottom