• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Break in - can you shoot ?

Hurt my dog? You gon' take a long time to die.
imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

And if you didn't have to shoot?
I'm a pretty understanding and easy-going guy. I see where you're coming from, I really do. Out in public, I'd most definitely have more discipline and situational awareness. My house is different and my family will always come first. Am I supposed to wait to see what the perp's intentions are? If they come through that door and can turnaround before I can get on target, out they go with a lesson learned. I'm not going to shoot someone in the back. If they come in with a weapon and continue to advance, then the decision has been made on both sides.

No even if we stick STRICTLY to the scenario the OP laid out “The man is not (at the moment) a threat to you”

...It is a threat and I have implored a less than lethal weapon that has not eliminated the threat and I’m escalating the response...

I like this line of thinking, but the way the law is written, if this were to happen away from your habitation, you really DO have to perceive that your dog isn't handling the threat adequately and thus your safety is STILL at risk.
I think that this requirement, imposed on you by the law regardless of your feelings, also carries and IMPLIED duty to honestly evaluate the performance of your first-deployed line of self-defense (in this case, your dog) and only go to guns if a REASONABLE PERSON in your situation would also think the dog may not keep the intruder fully occupied or just incapacitate him.

Hmmm...

Think of this other hypothetical.
Bad guy comes in with knife in hand.
You meet him in hallway, 25 feet from him, and YOU have both a .45 handgun and a Taser that shoots electric shock probes out over 25 feet.
Let's say you have one of these in each hand, and you're fully ambidextrous.

You taze him. He goes down, flopping, grunting in agony on the floor, but still clutching the knife.
Can you give up on the taser and just shoot him after giving him a single short jolt, without pausing to see if your Option #1 has been effective before you proceed to Option #2, your pistol full of hollowpoints?

If you employ a LESS-LETHAL alternative to a firearm, don't you think it's unreasonable to just disregard that without giving it a chance to work?

Fact is in the OP original scenario I’m not even looking for a knife - I’m threatened by his mere presence and circumstance - The knife is a non factor - The dog is a non factor - I’m scared (You can’t tell me how to identify my emotions or by what degree)

This new age leftist bull**** could be useful - oh ! How about - My bullets my choice

Anyway

There is no threat when I can go crawl back in bed

I like this line of thinking, but the way the law is written, if this were to happen away from your habitation, you really DO have to perceive that your dog isn't handling the threat adequately and thus your safety is STILL at risk.
I think that this requirement, imposed on you by the law regardless of your feelings, also carries and IMPLIED duty to honestly evaluate the performance of your first-deployed line of self-defense (in this case, your dog) and only go to guns if a REASONABLE PERSON in your situation would also think the dog may not keep the intruder fully occupied or just incapacitate him.

Pretty much my other response works for your comment here too

Basically I’m one nervous Nellie so don’t break into my house

Not all dogs are equally good at protecting a home from intruders.
With some dogs, you certainly can't be expected to wait-and-see what happens.
It's not reasonable to think that Daisy will take down that team of Russian mobsters and save John Wick (and his classic car).
OIP.XkFgeaW7mmiZUceocpYITwHaFz

Back
Top Bottom