• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brake anti-squeal

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
So who uses it, what brand do your prefer, and where do you put it ?

I've had hit and miss success in the past, sometimes used it, sometimes not, ended up with a squeal every now and then, either way.

Next change is going to be guaranteed silent !

They key to a good brake job is this....
Quality pads
Quality pads!!
Turn the rotors, finish with a ball hone for a multi directional finish, then wash rotors with Dawn and warm water to remove micro debris
Lube slide pins and shims on caliper fixture with High Temp brake lube
USE QUALITY BRAKE PADS!!!!!!!!! If they cost less the $50 they are crap!!
Now you have quiet brakes

My shop is known for quiet brakes after a brake job. Brakes are a high profit job so I want em done right with NO come backs.
I do one other thing to ensure mine are better than everyone elses but I aint telling....

So who uses it, what brand do your prefer, and where do you put it ?

I've had hit and miss success in the past, sometimes used it, sometimes not, ended up with a squeal every now and then, either way.

Next change is going to be guaranteed silent !

most think the squealing comes from the pad to rotor contact but it’s actually the metal pad backing plate moving in the caliper as the pads grab. Quality pads will have a thin metal shim between the pad backer plate and the caliper but a paint on product is available that does the same thing.

C320F62D-F053-4E67-819D-D0B156073E76.jpeg

Thanks for all the input, pretty much my evaluation. Maybe I've just used some poor pads in the past. As I diy I usually replace rotors as well, just easier than having a car on stands and finding somewhere to turn the rotors, deliver, pickup etc.

Brakes aren't the item to penny pinch on !

I never used it when I worked in the fleet shop and Ive never used it on my own fleet. Only braking squeaks Ive ever had were from cheap semi metallic pads.

Thanks for all the input, pretty much my evaluation. Maybe I've just used some poor pads in the past. As I diy I usually replace rotors as well, just easier than having a car on stands and finding somewhere to turn the rotors, deliver, pickup etc.

Brakes aren't the item to penny pinch on !
For my vehicles that I plan to keep long term, I buy a secondary set of rotors and keep a set turned at the house. That way theres some ready whenever I need them. Honda forced me to do this a long time ago because I couldnt keep a set of rotors on my 90 Accord more than 10k miles before they were terribly warped.

Back
Top Bottom