• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bored, Plant a Garden

Good job, food tastes better than it is grown by yourself, without all the chemicals.
What do you do with zuchinnis? I am still developing taste for them.

We planted 2000+ sq ft garden this year. LOTS of work by my wife. I just get to help out sometime. Water and pick the veggies
I hear folks around me talk about Silver Queen corn... We planted Peaches-n-Cream. Straight from an Amish store in Iowa. It is to die for, mix of yellow and white curnels on the cob. Sweet like white corn, but firm and juicy like yellow corn.
Our cukes are about done, leaves are turning yellow. 35+ cans of relish, pickle, slices, dilled, spicy, spears, salad slices. Gave away 4 or 5 5-gallon buckets, we planted too much.
Sugarbaby watermelon looks good. Froze some green beans, can the rest. Freeze and can corn. Tomatoes are coming in, zucchinis are next on the give-away list. Sweet peas are done. Potatoes are about ready. BTW put a tomato gage around your zucchinis earlier in the season, it helps to control the spread. Our cukes grow up on the lines, so they do not take much room.

BTW it almost never too late to have a garden in GA. We have 3 growing seasons. We will be planting our fall veggies in August. Second crop of peas, potatoes, cukes, and colder-loving veggies, like kale, lettuce, sugar beets, carrots. In March another round of potatoes, kale, lettuce, peas, carrots.

Last edited:
Dang nice garden there! But man that's a lot of okra!

Mine's been falling behind lately. Need to remove some of the neighbor's tree limbs that are blocking some of my sun.

I posted this in the recipe section also

I'm always looking for new ways to eat okra
the other day a friend said stop just using tomatoes when you boil okra
he said to add frozen butter beans with stewed tomatoes and rotel tomatoes add onions cook till beans are kinda soft then add the okra, this is my new way to eat boiled okra;

Today we did baked okra for the first time and it was GREAT; get the bigger ones make a slice and stuff with your favorite cheese & seasoning, put in oven about 25 min. @350F

www.fordtruckclub.net_forum_photopost_files_1_5_006.jpg

I usually plant about 200 plants and keeps family & friends supplied from May till it gets cold in November
when I was a kid we ate so much boiled okra my socks would'nt stay up.

Good job, food tastes better than it is grown by yourself, without all the chemicals.
What do you do with zuchinnis? I am still developing taste for them.

We planted 2000+ sq ft garden this year. LOTS of work by my wife. I just get to help out sometime. Water and pick the veggies
I hear folks around me talk about Silver Queen corn... We planted Peaches-n-Cream. Straight from an Amish store in Iowa. It is to die for, mix of yellow and white curnels on the cob. Sweet like white corn, but firm and juicy like yellow corn.
Our cukes are about done, leaves are turning yellow. 35+ cans of relish, pickle, slices, dilled, spicy, spears, salad slices. Gave away 4 or 5 5-gallon buckets, we planted too much.
Sugarbaby watermelon looks good. Froze some green beans, can the rest. Freeze and can corn. Tomatoes are coming in, zucchinis are next on the give-away list. Sweet peas are done. Potatoes are about ready. BTW put a tomato gage around your zucchinis earlier in the season, it helps to control the spread. Our cukes grow up on the lines, so they do not take much room.

BTW it almost never too late to have a garden in GA. We have 3 growing seasons. We will be planting our fall veggies in August. Second crop of peas, potatoes, cukes, and colder-loving veggies, like kale, lettuce, sugar beets, carrots. In March another round of potatoes, kale, lettuce, peas, carrots.

Are you still loving the Peaches and Cream Corn? Did it do well?

Back
Top Bottom