• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bore sight

Here's what I do for a redneck method.

Pin a reference mark on something some distance away. I put a piece of tape on a fence about 25 yds away.

Remove the bolt from your rifle and align it with said reference mark. Look through the bore and align it with the reference mark so it is centered in what you see through the bore.

Keeping the rifle steady align your scope's reticle a little above the reference mark. If your scope is mounted 2" above your bore align it about an inch above the reference mark.

At least when you get to the range you should at least be on paper to make final adjustments.

I am not a firearms professional nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Here's what I do for a redneck method.

Pin a reference mark on something some distance away. I put a piece of tape on a fence about 25 yds away.

Remove the bolt from your rifle and align it with said reference mark. Look through the bore and align it with the reference mark so it is centered in what you see through the bore.

Keeping the rifle steady align your scope's reticle a little above the reference mark. If your scope is mounted 2" above your bore align it about an inch above the reference mark.

At least when you get to the range you should at least be on paper to make final adjustments.

I am not a firearms professional nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

That’s the original bore sight method, and it still works today.

Bore sight is usually only good enough to put you on paper, but it won’t give you a good zero.

After bore sighting, zero with the ammo that you are actually going to use, not some that’s cheaper, or just the same weight.

If you already know this……disregard! In the 25 years or so ive been mounting scopes for folks, I’ve seen all sorts of stuff done wrong.

Good information from above. I would like to add, if it’s a used scope, you might have to re-zero the scope itself. I have run out of adjustment and re- zeroed used scopes. Usually for me, it’s elevation. Rarely windage.

Good information from above. I would like to add, if it’s a used scope, you might have to re-zero the scope itself. I have run out of adjustment and re- zeroed used scopes. Usually for me, it’s elevation. Rarely windage.
I mean, that is the whole purpose of bore sighting and sighting in your rifle. Mechanical zero means squat.

Bore sight what "weapons" ?

How close two perfect do you need to be? I hope that even after this boresighting is done you will still go to the range and practice a bit to confirm the zero with whatever ammunition (premium quality) you expect to be using for serious purposes.

Back
Top Bottom