• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Booze/Coffee/Cigarettes

Not persimmons. But I got a bunch of overrippened bananas from food depot this summer. 30 lbs for $3. I decided to make banana wine. It came out pretty dang good. Tastes like bananas foster to me.
FYI... 30 lbs of bananas will make A Lot of wine.

Man now that sounds good.

I’ll tell ya what if war breaks out I’ll probably start smoking and drinking again...lol.

After reading this thread earlier in the week, particularly the homemade wine part, I did some research and today, started my first run of wine. The object is to be able to barter should the need arise. I'll update with how it came out in the next week or so.

I also have a good stock of rolling tobacco and coffee.

Just did some research on tobacco plants, I might try growing some to see how it goes. Just did a quick search on Georgia code and it looks that as long as I don't sell to a minor it should be fine.

Going to spend more time reading the law before I buy the seeds, but I think I might give it a try.

* Edit * - After reading further into it, I don't think I'll plan to sell any of it. Looks like there are plenty of law's for regulating the selling of tobacco products. For personal use it's fine, so i may try to plant some for fun. The seeds only cost $4-5 per 100 so it's not much investment other than time.

Even if I can get a few plants to grow each year, the seed pods should bear enough to create a large harvest the following year if needed.

100 tobacco seeds is about 1/8 teaspoon. If you're a youtube user, watch some of the videos about Cuban tobacco farming and how they get the plants started.
Next time I'm in Cuba buying cigars, I may see if I can get some seeds to bring back as well. Those Cubans farms where the best tobacco is grown, remind me of South Ga cotton farms. Red clay, kinda sandy.

And, before people knock Cuba... The Cuban people are the friendliest people in the world. They have just been knocked down by an oppressive government. They want their freedom back. They love the USA and everything we stand for. They hate their government, not ours. We have all been indoctrinated into this fear mongering.
Yes, Communism sucks. And the Cuban people know that better than anyone.

20181125_124842.jpg
20191201_105708.jpg

After reading this thread I want to thank the guys for reminding me of what I regard as a major flaw in my minor prepping.
I have enough coffee if the lights go out for a while but I forgot to buy a manual grinder. My error corrected. LOL

Next time I'm in Cuba buying cigars, I may see if I can get some seeds to bring back as well.

The Warrior Poet Society video below had Dr. Sebastian Gorka on, and he mentioned that for every $10 you spend in Cuba, $9 of it goes right to the government. I don't have anything against the people Cuba, but the idea visiting to buy cigars only helps the current government have more funds to stick around longer. It's one thing to enjoy their cigars, it's another when it directly supports a communist regime. Info at 17:55 mark in video below.

I buy cigars directly from the farmers, I stay in private residences, eat in private restaurants, drink in private bars, tip well and hire local drivers.

I'm sure the average American does more harm by heading to Wally World and buying all the Chinese junk there.

Just passing that along. If the money goes to the citizens, they tend to spend it where the government gets it in the end. Either way it's going to the government through your hands or theirs. The fact that it's going into the country is what helps that government stay in power.

It's true China has a very large market here in the United States, but it's been shrinking lately due to what President Trump had put on them and factories are starting to move out of there. The idea is to starve those countries of the money that keeps them in power. It's going to take the people in those countries to change things, but it won't happen anytime soon if funds continue to support the government control.

I get what you are saying. It is certainly a unique situation there. One that is rather difficult to understand without a deep dive into the Cuban revolution, what led up to it and post Soviet Union.

It's going to take the people in those countries to change things
You are absolutely correct here, although I find it a bit contradictory. If the people cannot afford to provide for themselves, how, or why would they ever topple any government that does? Capitalism is alive and thriving in Cuba. Revolutions do indeed need to start from the people, not from the top.

I don't want this thread to derail into a Cuban rant. I'd be happy to have this conversation via pm. Cordial of course. I have insight that perhaps a lot of others do not. I have friends in Cuba that I speak with almost daily. Bottom line is, if the money I spend in Cuba helps a father buy new shoes for his child, or flour and sugar for a birthday cake, or a chicken for eggs or meat and he has to buy that from the Government. I'm kinda ok with that.

And I assure you, I am as red-blooded, conservative, liberal hating as anyone here.

Semper Fi.

Back
Top Bottom