• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

'Boiling Crawfish' restaurant

Some decent mud bugs
7YlhfWyC.jpeg

made the long ass journey up to henrys on tuesday.........total disappointment. i even left them a review. i gave them 3 stars, and that was only because the service we got from our waitress was outstanding.....the food fell flat.......

if i based it off of their food, they would have only gotten a 1 star.

it was at about 3 in the afternoon.....if they can't nail it off peak time, i doubt they would have done any better during a rush.
Well that's disappointing but I guess will save me the trip. Guess I'm back to just assuming there's no where anywhere near with anything remotely authentic. Sadness... :(
I'm out of work, hell maybe I need to open a restaurant.... "Geaux Manger"? Hmmmm......

Born in Kenner, LA, and lived most of my life in SE LA.

Henry's is the real deal. I'd put it up against most places back home.

their signature dish, "Louisiana Ooh La La™" tasted like Olive Garden meets Long John Silvers.

Shrimp, oysters or crawfish, flash fried and tossed with tasso, spinach and roasted garlic in Henry’s Cajun cream sauce. Include all three seafood selections for 1.00 more, served over angel hair pasta or French bread

the seafood was so heavily breaded you couldn't tell there was seafood in the middle and the sauce tasted like alfredo sauce.....which the ultra thick breading on the seafood soaked up so much of you couldn't taste that there was supposed to be seafood inside.

the "blackened" catfish was not........ it was oily, chewy and was reminiscent of yesterdays leftover grilled fish that had been reheated in the microwave.

the boudin balls were mush as well......and the remoulade, well, some things just don't need to be ****ed with.

Well that's disappointing but I guess will save me the trip. Guess I'm back to just assuming there's no where anywhere near with anything remotely authentic. Sadness... :(
I'm out of work, hell maybe I need to open a restaurant.... "Geaux Manger"? Hmmmm......

i'm with you, i've given up hope. all these so called "cajun" restaurants have "chefs" that want to mess with stuff and put some kind of "signature" spin on everything, they apparently watch way too much food network....and can't just leave **** alone.

i'm with you, i've given up hope. all these so called "cajun" restaurants have "chefs" that want to mess with stuff and put some kind of "signature" spin on everything, they apparently watch way too much food network....and can't just leave **** alone.
Well you know, recipes that have been perfected over 400 years they can "fix". :tsk:

Well, we finally stopped at Gumbeaux's a couple weeks ago on our way over to a wedding in Mississippi. The ambience was kinda cool and the Shrimp Poboy was passable (not great). The cheese grits (Cajun cheese grits? Never heard of them.) were pretty good, but the dirty rice was *awful*. I wasn't sure about the Crawfish Etouffee. It tasted ok, but there was so much cayenne in it that it covered up the basic flavors of the etouffee. Not interested in going back.

Well, we finally stopped at Gumbeaux's a couple weeks ago on our way over to a wedding in Mississippi. The ambience was kinda cool and the Shrimp Poboy was passable (not great). The cheese grits (Cajun cheese grits? Never heard of them.) were pretty good, but the dirty rice was *awful*. I wasn't sure about the Crawfish Etouffee. It tasted ok, but there was so much cayenne in it that it covered up the basic flavors of the etouffee. Not interested in going back.

yep, i live really close to them and never go......haven't been in at least 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom