• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Body Armor

Al Capone

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
What do y’all think about using body armor? Do you train wearing it? Think it’s a waste of money? Think you’ll ever use it? I’ve always lived my life on the side of better to have it and not use it but when it’s something you wear like this when do you wear it if you currently own it?

Pros and cons on soft armor vs hard armor would be appreciated also.

Soft armor is very concealable and very wearable just warm lol aka another layer in the summer. its a tad stiff but the trauma plate is the only real part that doesnt give. Its not rifle rated and most aren't puncture rated (stabbing) but thats the give and take with comfort/concealability vs hard armor ceramic/metal where penetration resistance to larger rifle rounds where you're going to be less mobile, someone is going to see youve got it on, and be more exposed cause hard armor doesnt wrap around the sides of your ribs and gut.

forgot to add that soft armor technically has a "shelf life" but i look at that like medicine shelf life....aka a joke but the company doesnt wanna not say it/ ("of course your whole department needs a re-armor in 10 yrs"). Ceramic can be brittle to drops and ....its biggest downside and ive seen some manufacturers claim it too has a "shelf life". Steel is just inherently heavy lol

20210117_125402.jpg

I train with it. Steel is heavy but the most cost effective, for those that don't wear it as a job.

Shellback makes level IV plates that are a combo steel/ceramic that are lighter but it's $400 ish, brand new.

Most other AR500 type rifle rated plates run in the $300 or less.

I forsee using mine as a "civilian" if/when the SHTF or if caught in a small pocket of rioters/looting/violent protest. Plus, like you, it's better to have and not need, then need and not have.

Back
Top Bottom