Blast from the past.....

Darkpurge

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
28   0
Reaction score
2012-10-06_14-06-42_894.jpgJust thought I would share this story with those that could appreciate the old school stuff…
I have never been to a turkey shoot before in my life, until last night. I was invited to go and shoot even though I knew nothing of how it goes. Sadly, I traded the only shotgun I had on the ODT a couple of weeks ago…or so I thought. In a tight I call my father and explained my predicament to him and to my surprise he passed down my great grandfathers shotgun at that very moment…now he explained that the gun hadn’t been fired in 2 decades. So, I rode and picked it up, it’s a Stevens tool and die company,32" barrel that dates from the late 1800-1915 according to all resources available. Unsure as to the condition and function, powered by desperation for a shotgun…I cleaned it and fired it…Ouch…it kicked like a mule…look close…newly acquired limb saver pad. Anyway, to my surprise it holds a considerably good pattern. The lock up was questionable at times. There were at times several fail to fire incidents I attributed to the lock up problem. When I arrived at the shoot, the stares and smirks at the old Stevens sitting in the rack next to all those” high performance” shotguns was quickly turned around when it took the bacon… Literally…on the first round. Having to aim above the target 8” @ 30 yards proved to be a challenge consistently. This again I attributed to the lockup problem. A few FTF/ FTE... (Had to pry out with my knife) problems really got the crowd going. All things considered, the gun won 5 times out of 12 rounds 3 by me and 2 by my buddy who gave up on his modified 870 with his 120 dollar screw in choke w/ scope…Ironically, my great Grandfather used to feed his family during the great depression with that very same gun, three generations later…it did it once again…Its value is about 75.00…to me right now priceless…

Attachments

• 2012-10-06_12-35-58_374.jpg
    2012-10-06_12-35-58_374.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2012-10-06_12-40-12_904.jpg
    2012-10-06_12-40-12_904.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yeah use to shoot turkey shoots in the 70's.Here's a story.Had a single barrel 16.Took it to a machinist friend and had it machined to accept 12 gauge shells,never lost a round with it.Finally it was outlawed.What a pattern that one would hold.Wonder where it ended up?

Yeah use to shoot turkey shoots in the 70's.Here's a story.Had a single barrel 16.Took it to a machinist friend and had it machined to accept 12 gauge shells,never lost a round with it.Finally it was outlawed.What a pattern that one would hold.Wonder where it ended up?

in this crazy world, probably in bubbas truck tool box..lol

Back
Top Bottom