• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Powder Bullet size

IF -- the conical is hollow base and short enough to fit betweem frame and cylinder, it should work ---

The mold is for conicals not much bigger than a ball. I've seen a few videos on using them and don't expect a problem if I leave room for it in the cylinder. However its diameter is 450 and I don't want to crush the grooves when pushing it down.

Do you have to use a wad? No but you are correct, they are mainly to prevent chain fire. In my trusty old 44 I've always used little precut wool wads. I've also seen some people grease the front of the cylinder after loading to keep things sealed. I tried that back in the 80's and decided the mess wasn't worth it. Been shooting BP since 1985 and also tried making paper cartridges too.

Was thinking about rolling my own. Watched multiple YT videos and looks relatively easy.

Another question is do I have to use a wad or can I just run powder and ball? Wad seems to be mostly to prevent chain fires. If I've got a good seal with a cut ring I can up the powder charge a bit.

Bore butter also prevents chain fires

I'm hoping using the oversized 454 will prevent chain fires since it should seal up the front pretty good. Was concerned about air pockets but plan on using generous amounts of powder to fill it up. Will have to see if that effects accuracy. I'm not expecting issues with ball. I've shot a few rounds through my revolver and rifle without issues. probably won't use any grease over the bullets. I've got a tube of bore butter for storage. Mostly interested in casting and using conicals. I decided to order a Dragoon 3rd and want to possibly hunt with it. So powder charge size and bullet type are what I'm researching. Almost ordered a Walker but figured the Dragoon was more refined

Got a melting pot coming and 454 ball mold. Not sure when I picked up the 450 conical mold. Guess I'll have to cast a few once I get settled. Plan on shooting BP more often. Any tips on scoring some cheap or free soft lead other than the shooting range?

I will tell you from bitter experience that shooting range is not soft lead. It is akin to wheelweights in hardness (not suitable for BP), plus it takes forever to get all the crap out from jackets and such.

It's getting harder and harder to find good soft lead. The last I picked up was at a recycling/junk yard. You use to could buy it at plumbing supply houses, but the last time I asked, they didn't carry any because no one uses cast iron pipe anymore.

The most convenient way is to buy some chilled shot, but it's pricey. If you can find someone selling recycled shot, it will be softer than range lead.

Back
Top Bottom